We're Starting Fresh, Any Suggestions?

happychick73

Chirping
May 8, 2020
We lost all our chickens but one to who knows what. Then we gave the one that survived to friends. It's kind of late to get chicks, but they'll be laying by next summer if we get them now. Any breed suggestions? I was thinking about golden sex links.

I am sorry you lost your flock.

What is your goal with the flock? Eggs only or eggs and meat?
What kind of set up do you have?
Are you planning to free range them?

I will make a suggestion based on eggs only and keeping them confined.

My black sex links have proven to have quite the personality while laying well even at 4-5 years old and haven't given much of a fuss about being confined.

I am sorry you lost your flock.

What is your goal with the flock? Eggs only or eggs and meat?
What kind of set up do you have?
Are you planning to free range them?

I will make a suggestion based on eggs only and keeping them confined.

My black sex links have proven to have quite the personality while laying well even at 4-5 years old and haven't given much of a fuss about being confined.
We are gonna do eggs only, and we do free range, we used to have a sex link and she laid really well

We are gonna do eggs only, and we do free range, we used to have a sex link and she laid really well
I've had great luck, longevity, and great egg production from my first BSL - Helen. She was lovely ,lived to 9 years, and laid into her 8th year. Barred Rocks are docile and friendly. Good layers as well .My RIR - hand raised from 2 weeks , big and bossy, but a consistent layer.Easter Eggers, I've had one, she had a twisted beak and fell prey to a hawk, Sweet docile gal, she passed before laying. 💔
Sorry for your loss .Good luck to you.

So sorry you lost your flock. Any idea if it was predation or illness? Hopefully whatever it was is no longer an issue - it would be heartbreaking to go through that again.

A mixed flock is very pretty and you get to know individuals more easily when they don’t all look alike. 🐔🐔🐔🐔

I think you’re brave to give it another go. Must be real chicken people, so you’re definitely in the right company here. Good luck !

So sorry you lost your flock. Any idea if it was predation or illness? Hopefully whatever it was is no longer an issue - it would be heartbreaking to go through that again.

A mixed flock is very pretty and you get to know individuals more easily when they don’t all look alike. 🐔🐔🐔🐔

I think you’re brave to give it another go. Must be real chicken people, so you’re definitely in the right company here. Good luck !
It was predators, there were feathers everywhere, most likely coyote

Back
Top Bottom