Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Clarification To dawg53:
My previous cases of fowl pox in chicks were in the past, not the current situation.
I really don't know if the fowl pox in our area is the dry or wet type. The commercial hatchery on island informed me that their vaccination is not 100% effective and that chicks do not develop immunity from the vaccination for a period of time. The worst outbreak I ever had was of hatchery vaccinated chicks in a screened cage. My vaccinations of chicks hatched on my premises seem to be equally as effective as the hatchery vaccinations.

With regard to the excessive time to dose chicks; with a crop feeder I can do it very quickly and with this therapy, intensive care does not have to be given to each chick for many days. Obviously, I would rather keep the chicks healthy in the first place, which might suggest that supplementing vitamin C could help.. I don't know, but I might try it. One could play with dosages to get the cost per chick down.

The question as to why Vitamin C is not sold as a cure for fowl pox in chickens, is not one I can answer. In his book, Curing the Incurable, Dr. Thomas Levy tries to explain how the medical profession seems to resist dramatically effective new therapeutics which don't involve big profits for drug companies.

After reading Dr. Levy's book I thought it would be interesting to test if a viral chicken disease would respond to Vitamin C. It did, and I thought it was worth it. I'm just trying to contribute to a positive dialog that might help someone. People would have to decide for themselves if it worked for them and their birds and was worth it.

Hey, I could be wrong but I found it pretty hard to be unimpressed that the pox lesions which formed over the test chick's eyes fell off within 3 days leaving only minor clean wounds which healed in just a few days.

Fowl pox is a virus, antibiotics would be ineffective unless there's a secondary bacterial infection. You'd just have to let it run its course if in fact it's fowl pox. They get over it in about a month, more or less. Eggs are safe to eat. Mainly mosquitos carry the virus, try to eliminate standing water on your property. I'll ask someone else to take a look at the pics you've provided. But it doesnt look like pox to me.

Ok I'll do a search thanks for the info. At five weeks I should be able to tell if my chicks are hens or roosters right?

Some breeds yes, if you know what you're looking for. Most breeds no, though, since it's still pretty early for crowing. Silkies and brahmas- not really. I'd wait until they were crowing or laying eggs to write anyone off for sure. ...

Ok really?

Well I hade a Rhode Island Red that was about a year old vey active and a troublemaker. I came home from work one day and found her just laying there dead like she just fell forward. Why is that?

Who knows. It could have been numerous things. The only way to know for sure is to have a necropsy done. Some states do free necropsies- check with your local extension office for details.

Just because folks have been using it for eons doesn't make it good or right or even the best option. Folks have been using peroxide forever; now we know not to because it kills living tissue, too.

Anybody who has animals should have a first aid kit that's properly stocked. Doesn't mean they need to spend a ton, but they should have the basics to get started.

And I would put raw honey on anything {including in an eye} first.

Of course, feel free to feed or treat or house, etc, however you want. Folks have been doing *whatever* {feeding just cracked corn; feeding layer to chicks, heating coops with heat lamps, etc, etc, etc} for years and they've never had problems, either.
smile.png
Honey can cause botulism in human babies that are given it orally. Raw honey certainly is not sterile, and that would be a whole lot more risky to put in a chicken's eye than OTC Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Terramycin Ointment from the feed store is sterile and an ophthalmic ointment which is fine to use if you don't want the Neosporin.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom