Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics

I am so paranoid now. A few of my girls have black marks on their combs. They don't appear to be anywhere else, IE legs, wattles, vent, face. If fowl pox makes chickens go off their feed, I either have a mild case or this is something else. These chickens eat like horses. 8 of 10 lay eggs. Added, the australorps chase everybody, so they probably bite them, too. A few of these marks have turned white *scars?*. Not every pullet has these marks; I'm wondering if those that don't are higher on the pecking order. I guess all this blather leads down to this question: is this fowl pox or bite marks?

oh sheet i hope mine doesnt get that. Poor hen!
sad.png

Dawg53 found this link:
Source:
http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/ahp/disease_links/images/poxvirus.pdf
Fowl Pox in Poultry
DEPARTMENT OF LIVESTOCK POULTRY HEALTH PROGRAMS
Animal Health Programs PO Box 102406, Columbia, SC 29224-2406 (500 Clemson Road, Columbia, SC 29229)
803.788.2260 FAX 803.788-8058

Public Service Activities
Avian Pox is a common viral disease of poultry, as well as in pet and wild birds.
Avian pox viruses include: fowl pox, turkey pox, pigeon pox, quail pox, peacock
pox, crow pox, starling pox, canary pox, junco pox, mynah pox, psittacines pox,
penguin pox, alala pox, apapane pox, and condor pox.
In poultry, Pox virus is slow moving disease through a flock and is primarily
spread by infected biting insects (such as mosquitoes, midges, etc.), but can also
be spread between birds through fighting or pecking each other through the Pox virus-loaded scabs located on
their face. Mild Pox virus strains will cause the “dry” cutaneous form (see skin scabs on the head and combs).
More virulent Pox virus strains can cause both “dry” cutaneous and “wet” diphtheritic lesions in the mouth,
esophagus, and trachea. Wet Pox will cause a higher death rate in the flock, since the virus lesions can build up
and block off the trachea causing the birds to suffocate.
There is no treatment for Pox virus infection since it is a virus. You can only prevent it with vaccination. The
birds may also get secondary bacterial infections (pus inside their eyelids and sinuses). Since Pox virus is a
“slow-moving” disease, you can vaccinate the flock in the face of an outbreak to try to protect those birds that
had not yet been exposed to the field virus. As with any vaccine, follow the label instructions completely – you
have to use the vaccine within 1-2 hours of opening the vial, vaccinate all the birds, and throw away any unused
amount of vaccine – you cannot save any unused vaccine in the fridge for later use. Vaccinate the birds who are
not showing the Pox infection (scabs), since the infected birds with the skin lesions are already naturally
inoculated and you don’t want to double dose the bird with wild virus and vaccine virus. Poultry vaccinated
with any type of live virus vaccine should not attend shows, fairs or other places where poultry co-mingle
together until at least 1 month after the birds had been vaccinated.
Fowl Pox vaccination in chickens: Fowl Pox vaccine is applied by the wing web method (using a small forked
applicator) to 4-week old chickens and to pullets about 1-2 months prior to egg production, and then boosted
annually prior to egg laying the next year. There is a young bird fowl Pox vaccine that can be given to chicks.
Young birds in heavily infected Pox areas may need an additional booster in 8 weeks because of interference
from maternal antibodies that might be present up to 3 weeks of age in chicks if the hen had been vaccinated
with Pox.
Fowl Pox vaccination in turkeys: give vaccine initially to poults at 2-3 months of age. Since the wing web
vaccination may create “dry” cutaneous pox lesions on the turkey’s head (because turkeys sleep with their head
under their wing) you can give the vaccine midway on the thigh. For turkeys breeders, revaccinate the birds 1-2
months prior to egg laying and boost annually prior to egg laying and when the biting insects come out.
For quail, you will need to use Quail Pox vaccine, as that is the most likely strain of Pox they get. There is no
cross-protection between the different Pox vaccines (Fowl Pox, Quail Pox, Pigeon Pox vaccine, etc.), so quail
vaccinated with Quail Pox vaccine will not be protected again Fowl Pox field viruses. (yes it is complex!)
The Pox disease or vaccine may cause laying hens in production to stop laying eggs temporarily – they will
eventually recover in 2-3 weeks.
Pox virus in poultry is not a concern for people eating the meat or eggs. Human chickenpox (cause by varicella
zoster virus) is a different type of virus and not related to avian Pox viruses.
Any questions, contact Dr. Julie Helm at 803-726-7802 (desk), 803-260-6442 (cell), or [email protected]

I will check mouth tomorrow, these boys roost in the trees thanks for the response I'll continue reading whole thread and go from there. I just worry about them losing their sight and not being able to eat, not real easy to handle roosters but they are still my egg to hatch to raise babies.

I will check mouth tomorrow, these boys roost in the trees thanks for the response I'll continue reading whole thread and go from there. I just worry about them losing their sight and not being able to eat, not real easy to handle roosters but they are still my egg to hatch to raise babies.
I had a few that couldn't see that had to be tube fed until they recovered.

-Kathy

So they will need to be on lock down to keep safe also, they free range ATM. I have dog pen I could use but it seems they would be so unhappy. Since my girls are in their own separate area closed off from boys with symptoms are they safe from pox?

Back
Top Bottom