Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
Hen #7

-Kathy
This one lost the eye of course and still has pus that I'm trying to deal with. I'll see if I can get new pictures of her. She might be a good candidate to try the Tylan injection experiment straight into the sinus cavity.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Kathy, you dont have to literally "inject" the tylan into the nasal cavity. You can put the needle above one of the nostrils and allow 1 drop of the liquid to fall onto the nostril. The hen should "breathe" it in IF the nostrils are clear of mucus or dried mucus....then 1 drop over the other nostril.
Warm saline solution in an eyedropper used as a flush should open up mucus blocked nasal passages in either nostril, opening them up for the tylan.

I'm willing to try anything, lol. There's one person that says they inject something like one cc into the sinus and that cure them 100%. I think I'll try the more conservative approach first.

-Kathy

I'm willing to try anything, lol. There's one person that says they inject something like one cc into the sinus and that cure them 100%. I think I'll try the more conservative approach first.

-Kathy
I agree. If the nasal flush and tylan drops into each nostril fail, you have the second option to inject.
Give the tylan time to do its job.

If you're going to give her 1ml, one drop of tylan in each nostril isnt much at all. Then inject the remainder into her breast muscle. Limit the nostril drops and injections to no more than 5 days. Did you still want to inject directly into the sinus?

Last edited:
Be careful doing flushes. Someone posted recently about adding Tylan to sterile water for nasal flushes. They were talking about using 4mls. I would use normal saline instead--I know if that got aspirated into the lungs or air sacs, it wouldn't be as much of a problem as water would be. It is pretty normal to squirt saline into people's lungs on ventilators for suctioning out endotracheal tubes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom