Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
Sorry, but many of us put Neosporin in chickens eyes without a problem, especially if it is an unopened tube or has been used with sterile technique.  Terramycin is an eye ointment, but Neosporin ophthalmic ointment only is available by prescription.  If chicken owners couldn't use the Neosporin in their chicken's eyes in emergencies, then they would not be able to treat most of their injuries.  Being an RN, I wouldn't recommend using Neosporin in human's eyes, but I think it is fine for chickens.  Pharmacists have posted on here that OTC Neosporin is fine for chickens.  Vetericyn eye gel is great, but many won't or can't spend $20 or more on something for a chicken.

Just because folks have been using it for eons doesn't make it good or right or even the best option. Folks have been using peroxide forever; now we know not to because it kills living tissue, too.

Anybody who has animals should have a first aid kit that's properly stocked. Doesn't mean they need to spend a ton, but they should have the basics to get started.

And I would put raw honey on anything {including in an eye} first.

Of course, feel free to feed or treat or house, etc, however you want. Folks have been doing *whatever* {feeding just cracked corn; feeding layer to chicks, heating coops with heat lamps, etc, etc, etc} for years and they've never had problems, either. :)

Is it normal for so many to be experiencing pox? Or is this year a bad year? We had more than usual rainfall this year, resulting in a longer mosquito season. I did notice lots of mosquitoes hanging around in the nest box area, which is where the youngest ones slept until recently. Thanks to all your great photos and posts, I now recognize about five cases of what I believe to be dry pox in the young ones. Bought what passes for iodine here in Mexico (Isodine) today. I posted recently about some white froth in the inside corner of the first case's eye. No one else mentioned that in relation to pox. It's not pus, and easily washed away with saline eyedrops. Thanks for all your great info, I'm hoping these will be mild cases.

Just because folks have been using it for eons doesn't make it good or right or even the best option. Folks have been using peroxide forever; now we know not to because it kills living tissue, too.

Anybody who has animals should have a first aid kit that's properly stocked. Doesn't mean they need to spend a ton, but they should have the basics to get started.

And I would put raw honey on anything {including in an eye} first.

Of course, feel free to feed or treat or house, etc, however you want. Folks have been doing *whatever* {feeding just cracked corn; feeding layer to chicks, heating coops with heat lamps, etc, etc, etc} for years and they've never had problems, either.
smile.png
Honey can cause botulism in human babies that are given it orally. Raw honey certainly is not sterile, and that would be a whole lot more risky to put in a chicken's eye than OTC Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Terramycin Ointment from the feed store is sterile and an ophthalmic ointment which is fine to use if you don't want the Neosporin.

Last edited:
Kathy can you post pictures of the hens now ? The ones that were pictured? Curious on progress . Mine is a little into 2 weeks and sometimes she seems better but sometimes it seems the same . I'm not worried about her not making it now . Im pretty sure she will but wonder condition she will be in after. I still can scrap the scabs off eyes she won't stand for it. But she got a couple off herself but I can no longer force open eyes :-(
[/IMG]

Kathy can you post pictures of the hens now ? The ones that were pictured? Curious on progress . Mine is a little into 2 weeks and sometimes she seems better but sometimes it seems the same . I'm not worried about her not making it now . Im pretty sure she will but wonder condition she will be in after. I still can scrap the scabs off eyes she won't stand for it. But she got a couple off herself but I can no longer force open eyes :-(
[/URL]
I'm not sure I can find them.

-Kathy

[/IMG]

This is my rooster during the worst of his pox, and a couple of weeks later. Hope this helps some!

Honey can cause botulism in human babies that are given it orally.  Raw honey certainly is not sterile, and that would be a whole lot more risky to put in a chicken's eye than OTC Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment.  Terramycin Ointment from the feed store is sterile and an ophthalmic ointment which is fine to use if you don't want the Neosporin.

Nobody's giving honey to babies, lol. And ya, the point of using honey is that it's NOT sterile. The healing happens from all the goodies in honey. :)

But it has to be real, unpasteurized honey; not yhe fake knockoff stuff from China, etc. Yes, raw honey is spendy, but worth every penny, imo. If we didn't have the massive world-wide bee colony die-off, maybe prices would be lower.

But honey is well known as wound treatment. Will attach a link; prolly next post if I can't get this one to take it {mobile}.

Has anyone used slippery elm on chickens? It's works fantastically well on horses.....
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609166/

Back
Top Bottom