Wet chicken poop - normal?

mydaisy

Songster
May 9, 2022
Oklahoma is OK!
I have (3) three year old hens that, besides having wet, brown poop, act normal otherwise. I have one hen in particular, my Andalusian, whose bum is getting dirty and caked with poop. I have wormed them and I have cleaned out their coops, sprayed with Elector PSP (coop and hens) and of course, cleaned her poopy feathers. A couple days later, poopy and caked on again. their poop is normal as far as no signs of worms, no diarrhea, it's a little darker than normal, but otherwise looks normal in color - it is just wetter. It has been hot, so they probably do drink more causing the wetter poop, but I have never had issues with it caking on to her feathers before. Also, her vent is clean and eggs are not poopy, it is just her feathers getting caked. Should I add some probiotics to her water - like rooster booster? Do you think it could be just a digestive issue? The other two hens seem fine, one is completely normal looking and the other is a little wetter, but not as bad as the Andalusian.

You're correct. The heat causes birds to drink more water, then they get the runs. You can trim feathers and fluff back a little so that your hen will have a straight shot to the ground. Dont trim back too much feathers and fluff because urates in feces will scald the skin causing redness, swelling, and irritation.
You can add Avian Super Pack in their water to replace lost minerals and nutrients if you wish:
https://www.jefferspet.com/avian-super-pack-100g/p

You're correct. The heat causes birds to drink more water, then they get the runs. You can trim feathers and fluff back a little so that your hen will have a straight shot to the ground. Dont trim back too much feathers and fluff because urates in feces will scald the skin causing redness, swelling, and irritation.
You can add Avian Super Pack in their water to replace lost minerals and nutrients if you wish:
https://www.jefferspet.com/avian-super-pack-100g/p
Thank you, I will definitely try that.

Back
Top Bottom