Wet Chickens-Help Please!!

mrssikes10

Hatching
Aug 26, 2019
I’m new here. I need help please. We have 41 Cornish x broilers in a chicken tractor in our backyard. An unusually heavy rain ended up flooding the ground under the tractor. They’re soaked through. The water came up over their legs in some spots. Some were shivering and a few others seem to have labored breathing. A few are very sluggish and were hard to get out of the way while we moved the tractor to higher ground. I believe I saw some bloody stool from one. They have been fine until last night when the rain started and the flooding came. Do we start them on antibiotics? We are so new at this that we just don’t know exactly what to do. Thanks so much.

First, treat them all for hypothermia. Heat some towels in the dryer and wrap each chicken in a warm towel. A chicken that is sluggish and lethargic, point a hair dryer on warm setting to the underside of the wings and the breast area where blood flow is most concentrated. Then give warm sugar water and electrolytes.

It's important to warm and dry your chickens, blow drying if necessary, and then address the possibility of coccidiosis. The wet weather is condusive to a coccidia outbreak and Corid treatment is essential.

I agree with azygous. Get them warm as quickly and safely as you can and give them the warm water with electrolytes. Their home needs to be dry before you put them back in there. Keep in mind too that they were most likely not able to sleep last night with the rain so keep a close eye on them. They may just need to rest or they may be sick, you will have to watch their body language. Hopefully they will recover pretty quickly.

Thanks guys! We have electrolytes going in their water, medicated feed going, and a medicated salve. We’re working to keep them dry and treat them for stress. Fingers crossed we don’t lose any!
Medicated feed won't cure coccidiosis.
You might want to pick up some Corid sooner rather than later for the bloody poop.

:welcome :frow You have been given great advice. I think making them dry and warm will do a lot of good. I shiver and shake too when I'm cold and wet. I have used a hair dryer on birds too to dry them and warm them up. I have also put them in a coop with a space heater to warm the coop up too. Of course I put the heater in a safe place. Medicated feed helps the birds build up a resistance to cocci.

I’m new here. I need help please. We have 41 Cornish x broilers in a chicken tractor in our backyard. An unusually heavy rain ended up flooding the ground under the tractor. They’re soaked through. The water came up over their legs in some spots. Some were shivering and a few others seem to have labored breathing. A few are very sluggish and were hard to get out of the way while we moved the tractor to higher ground. I believe I saw some bloody stool from one. They have been fine until last night when the rain started and the flooding came. Do we start them on antibiotics? We are so new at this that we just don’t know exactly what to do. Thanks so much.

U can let them sit in front of room heater or heat convertor
But first towel dry them
Give them slightly warm water
They will be fine

Out of curiosity, how should dosage be used for chicken? Would it be the same as what is on the bottle? I imagine it would not be due to the difference in animals addressed on the bottle. However, I just want to make sure I have the correct amount

TIA

Back
Top Bottom