Wet chickens in the rain!

lysmandor

Songster
Mar 26, 2020
Lansing, NY
When I was reading about chickens, I got the impression that chickens wouldn't like inclement weather... but clearly mine missed the memo. It was thunderstorming and 50 degrees and windy out today, but they insisted on free ranging all day. When I closed them up tonight they were all soaking wet. :confused: I really get the impression that the flock leader is the instigator - she's a SS hen and absolutely fearless. Everyone else seems to want to stay in their nice covered run... but out she goes into the rain, and everyone follows her.

Winter is fast approaching... do you think they'll be bright enough to not get soaked before a night below freezing? Or do I need to make sure I don't have chicken popsicles??? ;):gig

You should always let them decide. Locking them in can cause stress and possibly bullying if they want to be outside. It was 35 degrees today and it was raining and all were outside. You should not assume what is best for them because they know what is best for them. Sometimes it's 80 degrees and raining and they decide to go in the coop. Sometimes they will go outsidw. Let them make their own decisions.

I have been there and make decisions for them thinking it was for the best, when it actually wasnt. Like my first year it was raining real hard, and they stayed in their coop, then one came out and a few followed and found worms!.they were so excited and then we're all on a hunt for worms and had a ball!

Leave it up to them.

Last edited:
What? They are chickens.... mine free range all day when it rains because they eat up the bugs. Their feathers are partially waterproof, and it’s fine for them to be wet. They will be perfectly fine in the winter time.... mine stay out all day long and go in at night and I’ve never had an issue. They are barnyard animals.... they’re a lot hardier than people give them credit for. Chickens survived long before humans started caring for them and building them coops.

My BO brownie stayed out in rain got drenched then sulked about it all day as u can see by her face first pic what she normally look like lol 2nd pic is her wet and sulking 😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• 20200918_071015.jpg
    20200918_071015.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20201004_102923.jpg
    20201004_102923.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 93
I've been a bit concerned about the chickens and the weather we have been having (warm and dry and beautiful one day, cold and rainy and damp the next) They don't seem to care. I do let them have free access to the coop so that they can decide what they want to do. I have a single heat lamp mounted securely to the top/roof of it just to help it stay dryer. The coop is about 12L x 8W x 8H.

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_152721_828.jpg
    IMG_20200917_152721_828.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 85

Back
Top Bottom