Wet conditions in run

Hensinutica

Chirping
May 14, 2024
We've been having a lot of rain lately causing very wet conditions in the run would it be ok to sand some sand to the run to help with draining? Thanks

Is this a temporary issue (unusual precipitation for your area) or something that'll be reoccurring issue? If the latter you'll need to plan for drains, roofs and/or gutters to help divert water around and away from the run.

Sand by itself doesn't do anything other than get wet but temporarily I suppose it can help elevate the ground level for a drier surface. Pallets are another option, or wood chips could do the same, depending on what's available to you or works best in your climate.

A good roof is the best thing for a wet run. I've used sand, lots of sand and during times of extreme rain I ended up using plastic pallets on the ground for the birds to stand on and keep their feet dry.

Is this a temporary issue (unusual precipitation for your area) or something that'll be reoccurring issue? If the latter you'll need to plan for drains, roofs and/or gutters to help divert water around and away from the run.

Sand by itself doesn't do anything other than get wet but temporarily I suppose it can help elevate the ground level for a drier surface. Pallets are another option, or wood chips could do the same, depending on what's available to you or works best in your climate.
It is unusual to get the amount of rain we've been getting. Last night alone we got a little over 2 inches in an hour it was insane our whole property was flooded. I plan on making trenches and drains for run off. I just can't do that right now I just need a temporary fix to keep my little ones safe.

Back
Top Bottom