Wet Coop

Lavender6

Songster
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
Hello. I built a new coop out of pallets. I used all used materials. I used some barn tin that I had and up to this point my coop has been dry and worked beautifully. I also insulated it with plastic, cardboard and wrapped my whole coop in tarps. The problem is yesterday we had treacherous downpours and the tin leaked. It didn't get my litter wet but the cardboard on the back and one of my nesting boxes got wet, not soaked but wet none the less. The roof lumber is wet also. It was 75° yesterday. Today it is going to rapidly drop and tonight it will be 23°. I am going to change out the cardboard and try to stop the leak. I am afraid that moisture that is in the coop will cause frostbite. I am wondering what I should do with that roof being wet because no way will it dry out before dark. Could I paint it, or cover it with plastic inside? I am really concerned my girls will get sick. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Use a plastic tarp and cover the entire roof.

When you use bare wood it really needs to be painted or stained to resist any moisture.

You can also use corrugated plastic panels for the roof and outside walls.

When I need to remove the dampness of the coop I place a brooder light in the coop to help dry it out. Preferably with no chickens in there.

Use a plastic tarp and cover the entire roof.

When you use bare wood it really needs to be painted or stained to resist any moisture.

You can also use corrugated plastic panels for the roof and outside walls.

When I need to remove the dampness of the coop I place a brooder light in the coop to help dry it out. Preferably with no chickens in there.
Thank you. I will get that stuff today!

I would get as much airflow as possible across the wet wood all day to dry it as much as possible. Well, all day or until the temps drop below about freezing, maybe... lower if the chickens have a wind block to get behind if they want to. Open it up as much as possible and add fans.

Late in the day, if the underside of the roof is still wet (vs just damp), I'd staple cardboard against the underside of the roof for the night.

I don't think paint will help at this point, it would add more moisture and doesn't stick well to damp wood. Plastic on the underside of the roof might be better than wet wood - only if you have really good ventilation.

I took the cardboard off the back because it was wet
Only one nesting box got wet but they don't use it. The one Patsy is in is dry. My floor didn't get wet at all. I am wondering if that roof being wet will cause too much moisture tonight. It will be 23° I bought plastic to go on it inside and a huge tarp to cover it until I can fix it tomorrow. Today is Sunday and our town shuts down

Attachments

• 20220102_100020.jpg
    20220102_100020.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220102_095745.jpg
    20220102_095745.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220102_095753.jpg
    20220102_095753.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220102_095753.jpg
    20220102_095753.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220102_095759.jpg
    20220102_095759.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 9
I would get as much airflow as possible across the wet wood all day to dry it as much as possible. Well, all day or until the temps drop below about freezing, maybe... lower if the chickens have a wind block to get behind if they want to. Open it up as much as possible and add fans.

Late in the day, if the underside of the roof is still wet (vs just damp), I'd staple cardboard against the underside of the roof for the night.

I don't think paint will help at this point, it would add more moisture and doesn't stick well to damp wood. Plastic on the underside of the roof might be better than wet wood - only if you have really good ventilation.
I just added pictures

Back
Top Bottom