Wet Ducks (Hear Me Out)

Beccatrix

Songster
Nov 28, 2021
Wisconsin
I brought home 8 five month old bantam ducks this afternoon, and let them swim in a kiddie pool that was slightly less than half full. They got out after 45 minutes or so, and the pool was removed. They're in a pen on pine shavings. When I checked on them this evening, they were still very wet feeling (my medium ducks are usually dry 30 minutes after a swim). It's in the low 50s overnight. Any reason to be concerned? They've had access to a splashing tub before, but this might have been their first all out splash and "dive."

I suspect they haven't had a bath in a long while. Might that be possible? Maybe it will just take them a few days to work the oil through their feathers and the dust/etc. out. I'll admit I know little about ducks, and I hope they're alright. As it is with chicks, they can be wet, or they can be cold, and they'll be fine. But they can't be wet AND cold. I suspect that as long as there is not a draft blowing on them and the temps stay above 40-ish degrees F, they will probably be fine and dry by morning.

Very interesting
I leave out water all day for mine and they aren’t wet like that
But I also start mine swimming at 3 days old and they instantly start using the oil glands and preen
But I see many posts of people who don’t think swimming young is good
Could they be going through a molt ? This could cause them to stay wet longer
If you are able to hold them you could gently dry them with a paper towel as it absorbs the water really good
That’s what I use when they first start to swim

Very interesting
I leave out water all day for mine and they aren’t wet like that
But I also start mine swimming at 3 days old and they instantly start using the oil glands and preen
But I see many posts of people who don’t think swimming young is good
Could they be going through a molt ? This could cause them to stay wet longer
If you are able to hold them you could gently dry them with a paper towel as it absorbs the water really good
That’s what I use when they first start to swim
I started our medium ducks and geese very early. I do know the breeder had a splash tub for them. I'm a little concerned because they still felt damp around noon today, though it's raining outside (they're completely covered).

I started our medium ducks and geese very early. I do know the breeder had a splash tub for them. I'm a little concerned because they still felt damp around noon today, though it's raining outside (they're completely covered).
When they got out of the water did they spend time preening? usually that is what they do.

I wonder if they have wet feather if it’s not a molt
My pekin got wet feather last early December and I had them In The house in their own room with a kid pool in the laundry room they would use daily ( I know their own room in the house lol )
She has always been amazing at preening but her husband was a little to much at the time and I think him on her back to much may have caused it and only bathing once a day in the winter
So I put her in my sink and used a little dawn dish soap. I wash her and rinsed her down
Then used paper towel and a blow dryer to dry her
Kept her from the pool for 2 days and just let her preen using her water dish
It went away and she has never had it since
Some say don’t do this but I did and it worked perfect

Back
Top Bottom