Wet Hay??

I run into problems with this. Do you mean hay?
Hay isn't great for bedding. Hay contains bugs and spores that can cause respiratory problems in chickens and ducks. Straw is better.
Damp straw shouldn't be much of a problem for Muscovies. Ideally the females will have roost bars much like chickens. If the bar is low enough the males will roost on them as well.
It is unfortunate that the conditions chickens and Muscovy ducks are often kept in prevent them from being as clean as they might be.
Mỹ bad I mean straw.

I don't know how much is been raining up in Canada but down here is rained so much the ground is saturated. Even in one 10x30 covered coop, moisture is migrating/wicking in from the surrounding soil. Normally it's bone dry and really dusty in there, but the last month I've had to put down a couple bales of pine straw. Fresh Pine straw seems to repel water better than grass or wheat straw, it dries pretty quick, and keeps the chickens up out of the damp dirt.
With this coop, I made the mistake of putting it on what I thought was flat dry ground. I should have checked it after a good rain for pooling before I built where I did. It took several years of adding straw, leaves, bark, rotten wood, grass clippings and anything I could get my hands on, till I built up a crown so water would run out and away from that coop. My other coops and pens I picked out after a good flooding rain, and built on high, dry ground. Never had water problems with those new ones.
Edit:
The old coop still does not have problems with standing/pooling water. Any rain coming into the edges sideways usually evaporates within a day or two. The small problem now is moisture moving sideways through the ground. It's super saturated, almost swampy!

Last edited:
Mine got so swampy earlier this year in the alleged springtime that I had to move everyone to higher ground—the birds spent the alleged summer in nomadic tractors following the cows around. Nobody got to use the lower pasture until darned near the first (very early and very deep) snow.

I can sure understand soppy we have it now to since we seem to be in monsoon season and we don’t even get monsoon. If it’s not from water seeping in from too much rain or snow but blowing In from the sides wrapping maybe a good alternative. Just be sure to leave space at the top to let out moisture so wrapping doesn’t cause other problems . Pictures would be great of your set up.

I keep my three new 3 month old ducks in a 4x8 section of my "Quack House" seperated with the other older two ducks who is allowed to free range. They make a mess of the straw and I just place new straw on top of the old then clean it out and put in a compost pile. Seems to work in Central Tennessee.

Back
Top Bottom