Wet or Dry Food

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
I've been looking at DIY duck feeders now that my ducks are growing out of the various duckling feeders and have noticed that some people seem to work really hard to make feeders that keep the food protected and dry, while others make feeders that intentionally have the food submerged in lots of water. I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this.

I've been looking at DIY duck feeders now that my ducks are growing out of the various duckling feeders and have noticed that some people seem to work really hard to make feeders that keep the food protected and dry, while others make feeders that intentionally have the food submerged in lots of water. I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this.
It's feeding to the bird's behavior. Ducks naturally feed in water and on land. My ducklings have practically made a path between the food dish and the waterer. They grab food from the dish, run to the waterer, wet the food and swallow. Wet food does not keep well and spoils; dry food doesn't as easily.
I feed dry food knowing it will be wet food before it's eaten if a water source is close. The only wet food is dried meal worms sprinkled in the water container. And greens of course. This is rather confusing
to read:confused:

My ducks have been rejecting their food a lot ever since they started having more foraging time, which was worrying me (they were getting scratch and peck + yeast mixed with water to an oatmeal consistency). Then yesterday I tried putting a LOT more water in, such that there was about an inch and a half of water above the food. They went crazy for it! So trying to figure out the viability of feeding them really wet food. I live in a mild climate so things don't spoil so fast here - as long as I clean their dishes once a day I don't see spoilage as being a problem.

Defiantly after 8 yrs of making FF I decided to try dry with mine and that didn't go well they all prefer the moist over dry, so defiantly it's to each his own.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ter-easy-fermented-feed-method-w-video.65375/. This is how I make it. And using ACV keeps it from growing mold.

That looks pretty simple, but left a lot of questions as the video and post didn't give thorough instructions and questions people asked in the comments were never answered by anyone. I'll try here:
1. Once the initial ferment of about 3 days is done, you just feed from the top and keep adding more hot water/ACV/mash to what's left right?
2. Do you then need to wait another three days? Or can you take off the top daily at that point?
3. If the answer to #2 is yes you just keep using that batch daily, adding to it as you go, is there a point at which you need to stop and clean everything out and start over? Or just keep it going so long as there isn't any mold?
3. Why does she dismiss using whole grains? Prior to this everything I had seen about fermenting duck food involved whole grains.

I feel like I'm just filling this forum with questions. Such a newbie to duckies. I swear I do look for answers elsewhere before posting. And I swear someday I'll be here answering people's questions :)

Back
Top Bottom