Wet pox / canker

Mikes-coop

Hatching
Oct 25, 2018
I have a few birds with one or the other of these problems. They have bubbling eyes and yellow lesions in the eyes, mouth and throat. There are no dry pox present. There is also no bloody phlegm.
I have already vaccinated the healthy birds for pox yesterday because it seemed like the more serious issue to stop in its tracks.
I realize that by not vaccinating the affected birds they will be exposed to pox from the vaccinated birds if it's not the issue the affected birds already have. I only have one barn.
It was my choice to cut my losses before the more serious possibility spread any further.
Now, if it is canker, I've had the odd bird here or there with the same thing in the past, but it wasn't spreading, and fish zole did absolutely nothing for it.
I have been reading posts here about these two diseases before joining and that's why I've joined.
My next question is if this should be canker, how long do I have to wait after pox vaccination to give the unaffected birds copper sulfate in the water as a preventative?
The reason I ask is that I read copper sulfate is considered an antibiotic and I don't want to weaken the immune system following the pox vaccination.
Thank you. - Mike

I'm posting an update for anyone else who might need to know this in the future.

I asked a lady I know. I've asked her a lot and didn't want to bother her again, but I needed an answer. She used to be one of the head poultry health officials for Dekalb breeder and grower facilities. She said copper would be fine after pox vaccination.

With canker, there is a foul odor coming from the birds mouth.
Birds with canker that survive are carriers for life and will spread it to other birds. Transmission is via waterers and feeders.
Monthly treatments with acidified copper sulfate will keep it in check. Some folks cull birds with canker. Personally I would do the same if my birds got canker. Use a plastic waterer with the copper sulfate. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days straight once a month and dont overdose, more is not better because it can burn them internally.
Here's some good reading published earlier this year about fowl pox. A good instance in the article that I didnt know about are pics of fowl pox infecting toes on chickens, which could be mistaken for other maladies:
https://faceofagriculture.com/2018/01/08/fowl-pox-in-poultry-signs-causes-control-and-treatment/

Back
Top Bottom