Wet silkie dangerous?

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
We have completely summer readied our coop since temps during the day are sometimes over 80 degrees, but today we had a quick rain right before sunset. Our only buff silkie must have been caught out in it since he was wet. He wasn't shivering or seemed bothered at all though. I put some boards back up that we took down in the coop to block vents to make it a bit warmer inside the coop tonight for him. The low is 54 tonight, so the coop should be in the high 60s to mid 70's. He also likes to snuggle up with all of the other chickens, so that would keep him warm. I don't think it would be dangerous for him this time around, but I want to know if I did the right thing for future issues. Thank you

I know wet and cold can be deadly for silkies but I think 54 would be okay. It’s been raining here for a day and a half. I have four silkies that play in the rain. The temps at night here are still in the low 40s, if we’re lucky, and all of mine have faired well.

They’re in with standard birds and I have two three foot vents on each side of the coop. As long as the ventilation is above the chickens head, and a draft isn’t blowing on him, he should be fine without covering the vents. I would think covering the ventilation would cause more problems. Since he’s wet and your keeping the condensation in the coop by blocking the vents.

Back
Top Bottom