We've been skunked!!

momonpillowhill

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
So, our egg production has been down for a while now. We tried all suggestions and hints here on BYC. To no avail. Now, it's starting to get dark earlier and the kids have to get the ladies and ducks put away earleir too. Last Wed. they come running in around dark screaming. ( these are 2, 9 yo boys and a 12 yo boy) "MOM, there's a skunk in the duck house!!" Oh Ho!! Splains a lot!! ( we've had no duck eggs at all!!)Big boys, 2, 19 yo.s and 1, 17 yo, head out to "check it out" Bang bang, and one dead skunk. Now, if you know what I know, there is never just one!! Seems they have been raiding for quite awhile. No killing, just the missing eggs. We ahev spotted others, (but no one around to bang bang.) Needless to say, we are getting eggs like 12 times a day to make sure no more get "skunked"!! ( got our first duck egg today!! yay!! ( considering there are 18 of them, 11 females)
By the way, we have 50+ chickens freeranging around 15 acres. They come in at nite and yes, they poop all over the deck and anywhere else they want. Barred rocks, austrolorps (sp) leghorns, buff and white orphingtons, rhodies and a bunch of mixed up ones. Cayuga ducks, Pekins and roens.
Freerangers, watch your hen houses!!

Trish mom to many kids, many dogs, many cats, 5 horses many chickens and ducks and Skunks!!

you can NOT be so angry at the skunks. they are simply finding easy food. you have to pen the fowl up a little more securely (at night,anyhow)and check for defects in any housing. I set traps 24/7/365 and although I have NEVER trapped a skunk(I release whatever I trap,except for cats that get fixed cheaply) and any raccoons get spray painted so I can tell if they are repeat offenders(never had one) I am very grateful I have NEVER had a loss of any sort from predators(plus my k9 has been in chicken shed at nite babysitting chicks,just in case) I think the dogs discourage varmints during the day and they're only out when I am out or they're penned up but I'm doing something right. one dog got skunked 2 yrs ago at 3am, when out peeing, but stupid dog should have backed off(the other dog ran to me and the one that got skunked didn't listen so?)killing everything that dares to get near your property isn't a nice idea but DISCOURAGING wild critters has worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom