We've decided on Jersey Buff Turkeys! New Pics pg6

First, I want to say how HAPPY
celebrate.gif
we are to have made it to 12 weeks of age
clap.gif
.. no major mishaps, and healthy happy turkeys is what we have. Here's an updated pic from yesterday...

On the left side we have the 2nd hatched (hoping for a girl), the yellowish poult featured earlier, on the right is the first hatched which was the darker brown one (have always felt this one was a boy)
101_2381.JPG

and a couple more cuz they are SOOO adorable and I'm so proud
101_2382.JPG
101_2383.JPG
and a closeup of the only one who would hold still long enough.. the "for sure it's a Tom" turkey
101_2386.JPG

wee.gif

alright! So there they are... I would also like to add some photos of their winter brooder makeover. Just yesterday they got their FIRST PAN OF Sand! Yes.. a big flat bin that they can now dustbathe in & start munchin on some grit. They were SO happy to have it!! And their diet is now including a few scraps & shelled sunflower seeds. FINALLY some variety! Hard as HECK to get turkey food though... they are on purina start & grow crumbles or chick finisher crumbles(whichever I can find) with a little cracked corn & sunflower meats mixed in as their main diet. 18-20% protein
hu.gif
not sure if that's ideal but it's what I can find...

so what do you think? how am I doin? healthy looking? or are they lacking? anyone want to hazard a guess as to the sex? This has been the year of the Rooster, so I wouldn't be suprised if my only two hatched turkeys were Toms.

I just found out a month or so ago what breeds my turkeys were.
1 is a Narrigansett (not sure of the spelling here)
And 1 is a Jersey buff
Here is a pic.. They are both 6 or 7 months old

10-19-08029.jpg

They are both hens I think so I got a tom from a BYC friend.
I love these babys and I want to get more this spring!!

Mine are 6 or 7 months old and I didnt know.
I posted this pic, and some BYCers guessed the sex of them.
When I got the tom a couple weeks ago, I can tell the difference and he is about a month or two younger than my hens.
So, my best guess is.. having them side by side you should be able to tell when they are around 4 or 5 months old.. Just my guess.
My tom still dosent gobble gobble, or display much... But his head is redder, his legs are thicker. I wouldnt have noticed if I only had him though.
Looking at your pics, I think you are right at your guess, But I am in no way an expert! LOL.

Even though I am going more to exotics the buff turkeys are exotic in a way because they arent seen that often and they are very pretty. I must find a way to get my bird loving hands on some, lol.
Beutiful birds!

Back
Top Bottom