What’s Everyone Reading Right Now?

Pics

Friendly_Lurker

Free Ranging
Jan 27, 2020
Kansas
I was inspired be the What’s Everyone Listening To post. Favorite books, new found stuff, audiobooks all count. All usual BYC rules apply. Having finished all fifty six stories, I’ve turned to Sherlock Holmes anthologies by other authors. My favorite so far is The American Years, detailing his experiences in America. Sherlock helps Mark Twain recover his lost umbrella, gets involved in a stagecoach robbery, and helps John Wilkes Booth’s brother Edward not get murdered. Fun, right? Anyone else?

Just finished Marie Kondo's Spark Joy book. Seriously into the folding thing now because of all of the space it made in my drawers! I might actually enjoy pairing socks now...what!? Cabin fever may or may not look like this, folks (still blizzarding here)
20200228_233515.jpg
20200228_233508.jpg

If anyone's reading to kids, I am also reading the Caroline Carlson's Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates books with my grandson.

There are 3 and they are great fun to read aloud because they're loaded with stuff for the 9 and 10 yos and for their grownups too. Think of a 14yo Eloise escaped from a finishing school and afloat. She's trying to make a name for herself among the raucous world of pirates who are trying to uphold their standards of being very nearly honorable even if a certain amount of being antisocial, scruffy and fractious is their very nature.

We laugh at different things but we both find it laugh out loud funny.

Just finished Overstory by Richard Powers. It won a Pulitzer Prize for literature. I found it flawed but enormously thought provoking.

In Overstory a group of individuals are introduced in analogies between their early lives and trees that were meaningful as they were growing up. In time their individual stories converge in a radical ecological movement to save forrests from over forrestation and development.

Once it gets going it's really more interesting than I made that sound. I had a bit of trouble getting into it but in the end I was very glad I read it. I think it will stay with me for a long time.

I've just started Paper Wife by Laila Irbahim. Can't tell you much about that except that it's about a Chinese woman who's delivered to a husband in California who is not what he was purported to be. It takes place in the turmoil during the time that China switched from Imperial rule to a republic.

I'm only 2 chapters in.

It's a great read isn't it? "The Chronicles of BYC" collaboratively written by thousands of poultry enthusiasts across the world. Suspense, passion, envy, intrigue, all wrapped up into one. View attachment 2044005
I'm always learning new things on BYC, and then I end up actually using that knowledge! :eek: The BYC community rocks! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom