What’s going on with my chicken??

Best to break her since you're not going to hatch. Put her in a wire cage with food and water and keep her in there approx. 3 days or until she stops showing some of the broody signs (like puffing up, tik-tik-tik chirping, etc). At that time you can let her out and test if she goes back to the nest. If she goes back, put her back in the cage another 24 hrs, then test again.

Best to break her since you're not going to hatch. Put her in a wire cage with food and water and keep her in there approx. 3 days or until she stops showing some of the broody signs (like puffing up, tik-tik-tik chirping, etc). At that time you can let her out and test if she goes back to the nest. If she goes back, put her back in the cage another 24 hrs, then test again.

Does she need to let her out once or twice a day to poop and dust bathe?

Does she need to let her out once or twice a day to poop and dust bathe?

She'll poop in the crate/cage. She can live without dust bathing for a few days too.

Also, the cage should be left in line of sight of the other birds. If you have the cage in the run and feel your run is not secure enough at night to safely leave the hen in there, you can put her directly on the roost at night, then re-cage in the morning. May take slightly longer to break her but better than leaving her as coon or coyote bait.

I was fortunate this year to have an empty, available bachelor pen when my 3 BO took turns being broody. One after the other they all took turns in there. It had NO bedding for them to nest in and consists of about a 10 x 15' run made of chain link dog kennel panels and has a vinyl storage shed about 6' square by 4'6" high (just too short for me to stand up in!). Worked great. When I took them off the nest, I gave each a cooling bath to lower their body temp. They actually seemed to like it.

I keep my broody crate in the coop, unless middle of summer and it's too hot, then the change of scenery does help I think.

If you don't want her to hatch out chicks, IMO it's best to break her broodiness promptly.
My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

I used to let them out a couple times a day, but now just once a day in the evening(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two. Or take her out of crate daily very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken.
1591277814671.png

Back
Top Bottom