What’s going on with my girls voice??

I hear them chattering. .but I also hear that heh heh sound you were talking about.
It's hard to tell which duck what sound is coming from.
Does she still quack normally as well? I wouldn't worry Unless the heh heh sound is the only sound she can make.
Yeah right now that’s the only sound she’s making :( I ordered Baytril last night by suggestion, and I’m putting ACV in warm water for bedtime. Is there anything else I should do. I’m thinking of moving her and her sister she came with in the garage with a heat lamp for the next couple of days until the meds are here, to keep her warm and dry. Or will that cause the flock too much stress (mainly her and mo) if I move them inside. It’s dropping to the 30’s &40’s right now at night. Should I move her and her buddy inside for now?

Was she quacking before? I have some ducklings around the same age, and one of them has started to sound like the one in your video... Could it be that it's a male? I thought that about my own duckling earlier today after sitting with them for a bit

Was she quacking before? I have some ducklings around the same age, and one of them has started to sound like the one in your video... Could it be that it's a male? I thought that about my own duckling earlier today after sitting with them for a bit
I’ve thought about strudel being a male too but she still looks remarkably like a female saxony. We ordered her from Metzer, she’s supposed to be sexed and still looks very much like a female to me when comparing the male vs female saxony characteristics. I guess it’s always a possibility.
I hope strudel is ok but being so new to raising a flock I’m not sure what’s normal or not normal. It was yesterday I noticed she was keeping her left eye closed the majority of the day and when she did open it, I was there with camera to make sure the red in the corner of her eye was really there and yep her left was red in the corner. Today her redness wasn’t as noticeable and she kept her eye open all day. But yesterday was when I realized the sound she was making. She hasn’t quacked before just pips initially. I was gone for a week so this was all things I noticed when I went to go be my flock. Praying it’s nothing or something I can do to help her :(

I’ve thought about strudel being a male too but she still looks remarkably like a female saxony. We ordered her from Metzer, she’s supposed to be sexed and still looks very much like a female to me when comparing the male vs female saxony characteristics. I guess it’s always a possibility.
I hope strudel is ok but being so new to raising a flock I’m not sure what’s normal or not normal. It was yesterday I noticed she was keeping her left eye closed the majority of the day and when she did open it, I was there with camera to make sure the red in the corner of her eye was really there and yep her left was red in the corner. Today her redness wasn’t as noticeable and she kept her eye open all day. But yesterday was when I realized the sound she was making. She hasn’t quacked before just pips initially. I was gone for a week so this was all things I noticed when I went to go be my flock. Praying it’s nothing or something I can do to help her :(

Oh god I'm dumb, I completely completely forgot about some breeds having different appearances based on their genders... I think the reason I forgot was because my duck has identical markings to yours, but mine is a runner duck. Reading what you've written, it could be something serious like what others have suggested... However if the ducks are going through their teenage years, could the eye have been pecked by another duck to show dominance? I keep my two duckings inside together and have noticed that one has started slightly pecking at the other when they get treats, almost as if to remind them that they are in charge. I suppose it would be easy for a duck to show dominance like that and accidentally catch an eye with their beak?

I've had to add a picture of my duckling to show why my I saw your SAXONY duck and thought it could be a male, they look so similar!

Attachments

• IMG_20191116_232216.jpg
    IMG_20191116_232216.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 5
Is she eating and drinking and acting normal? If she doesn't act sick, no drainage coming from her eyes or snares or anything. . I would hold off and see if it's not just that her voice is changing.

Ducks can make all sorts of weird noises while they are trying to quack for the first time, the breeder I got my ducks from says she has had one duck that was making a quacking noise at 4 weeks, for it to end up being a male in the end!

Oh god I'm dumb, I completely completely forgot about some breeds having different appearances based on their genders... I think the reason I forgot was because my duck has identical markings to yours, but mine is a runner duck. Reading what you've written, it could be something serious like what others have suggested... However if the ducks are going through their teenage years, could the eye have been pecked by another duck to show dominance? I keep my two duckings inside together and have noticed that one has started slightly pecking at the other when they get treats, almost as if to remind them that they are in charge. I suppose it would be easy for a duck to show dominance like that and accidentally catch an eye with their beak?

I've had to add a picture of my duckling to show why my I saw your SAXONY duck and thought it could be a male, they look so similar!
Awwwwww look at him! Drake right?! And yes he does resemble my strudel noodle. Thanks for your response and picture! I could literally look at ducks all day long lol how old are yours again? When did you put them outside? How old and what’s your temps been like where you are?

Is she eating and drinking and acting normal? If she doesn't act sick, no drainage coming from her eyes or snares or anything. . I would hold off and see if it's not just that her voice is changing.
Ok so maybe some B-vitamin mixture over some peas in the morning, ACV in their water. And I think I may move strudel and her best friend Mo back into garage for some heat at night, or is that overkill bc they’re already 8 1/2 weeks and made it through some really nasty storms we had the last couple of weeks. Is that overkill to split the flock and put strudel and mo in the garage pen?
Edit: yes she’s eating, drinking, swimming, primping. Everything else other than the eye and now this voice thing is throwing her duck momma for a loop. ( so I work in the medical field and it’s MY job to figure out what’s wrong and then fix it.) Well these ducks make me feel so lost when I have no idea how to fix it immediately lol! These gals and Donald really do teach me so much about myself lol
Trust me my girls and Donald appreciate all the help from you guys. I just want to raise happy, healthy, birds to enjoy and bond with for years to come..... so that means I HAVE to figure out everything I can possibly do to help my little strudel. Thank you for your insight and help!

Last edited:
Giving oral vitamin B mixture (I ordered off of your guys suggestion awhile ago) to strudel in the morning by syringe wouldn’t hurt her right? I’m planning on doing that once a morning and ACV in her water. Should I move her and her friend to the garage with a heat lamp?

Back
Top Bottom