What’s important to you about feed?

What’s important about your feed?

• Total voters
I hope there's a place somewhere in the center of both production methods. Without intensive agriculture, food wouldn't be available for many more people. Improving safety, matters too. And preserving multiple strains and varieties of everything is also vital, looking towards the future.
In the good old days, most people spent most of their time producing food for a limited number of folks. We are far from that model now, at least here and in several other countries. It's not possible to go back to that, but we do need somehow to improved diversity too.
And I'm rambling, having no solutions...
Mary

The only way to starve or go hungry in this country is to be either a drug addict or mentally ill (or a child of one of those two).
This is… not true. And could be perceived as wildly offensive by some less fortunate than you. I think you need to consider other points of view and more diverse situations when thinking about hunger in this country.

I hope there's a place somewhere in the center of both production methods. Without intensive agriculture, food wouldn't be available for many more people. Improving safety, matters too. And preserving multiple strains and varieties of everything is also vital, looking towards the future.
In the good old days, most people spent most of their time producing food for a limited number of folks. We are far from that model now, at least here and in several other countries. It's not possible to go back to that, but we do need somehow to improved diversity too.
And I'm rambling, having no solutions...
Mary
More funding for small CSA’s and local farmers. In my area a few farms got together and made a website, they can all list what they are selling that week and can put a maximum so it won’t sell too many of an item, & people can go on and place orders. On Thurs, one business offered to be a pickup site, and the farms drop off everything that was prepaid for. One stop pickup for the community, without the time commitment of browsing a farmers market. Even though some of the farms are in competition with each other, I think they realize the bigger it gets, the more people will buy from them and less from the big-box farms.

The local farms do a really good job of taking care of the land, and the more outlets to local food people have, the better it is for the communities around them.

More funding for small CSA’s and local farmers. In my area a few farms got together and made a website, they can all list what they are selling that week and can put a maximum so it won’t sell too many of an item, & people can go on and place orders. On Thurs, one business offered to be a pickup site, and the farms drop off everything that was prepaid for. One stop pickup for the community, without the time commitment of browsing a farmers market. Even though some of the farms are in competition with each other, I think they realize the bigger it gets, the more people will buy from them and less from the big-box farms.

The local farms do a really good job of taking care of the land, and the more outlets to local food people have, the better it is for the communities around them.
This is amazing, I wish we had that here!

This is… not true. And could be perceived as wildly offensive by some less fortunate than you. I think you need to consider other points of view and more diverse situations when thinking about hunger in this country.
Do the math. It may not be pretty, but a can of black beans is $1.39 and a can of Tuna is $.90. IF you had to you could have a 2,000 calorie diet on $12 a day. The SNAP allotment for a person is $250 per month, combine this with food shelves, and other charity, someone who has their wits about them will not starve or be malnourished.

It has nothing to do with being fortunate.

This sounds great, but if it works too well, then it might just not last.

This may have been said already but if the United States wasn't so spoiled with food having to look perfect without blemishes the hunger would be alot lower. The food waste here is unbelievable. Not even good enough to be fed to pigs

Do the math. It may not be pretty, but a can of black beans is $1.39 and a can of Tuna is $.90. IF you had to you could have a 2,000 calorie diet on $12 a day. The SNAP allotment for a person is $250 per month, combine this with food shelves, and other charity, someone who has their wits about them will not starve or be malnourished.

It has nothing to do with being fortunate.
Where do you shop? Aldi here has canned beans around 75c (used to be 50c before inflation 2022), but I haven’t seen tuna under $1 in ages!
At the risk of becoming political,

Funding from whom?
Subsidies, ability to accept snap/food stamps.

Back
Top Bottom