What’s on my roosters’ combs??

Oh? My cousin who raises chickens and quail said that.. he said that there’s no cure for fowl pox? Sorry
There is no treatment, since it is a virus, but most chickens get over it. Very young chicks can have a hard time, and some die. There is a vaccine available online that owners can give at home to those not yet showing signs.

There is no treatment, since it is a virus, but most chickens get over it. Very young chicks can have a hard time, and some die. There is a vaccine available online that owners can give at home to those not yet showing signs.
Off topic, can u check my thread I have a problem with a 5 mo roo

The black spots were first, then the white showed up. I didn’t see fleas
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree with the poster who said they look like pekcing wounds, they probably had a disagreement and worked it out, mating season is upon us. Wounds on the comb often turn white on their way to healing like the lighter skin of a scar.

Chickens usually only deal with stick tight fleas on their comb/wattles.. and are not infested with standard cat/dog fleas in their feathers.. according to my understanding. Mites or lice are more likely to be under the vent or abdomen.

Just this one bird has the white spots. The other looks more like a white dusting.
Dry skin.. that's it.

Many vaccines are available for poultry in the US including Marek's, coccidiosis, infectious brochictis, and fowl pox.. maybe more.

My suggestion.. let it be.. it looks benign and they should heal rapidly.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree with the poster who said they look like pekcing wounds, they probably had a disagreement and worked it out, mating season is upon us. Wounds on the comb often turn white on their way to healing like the lighter skin of a scar.

Chickens usually only deal with stick tight fleas on their comb/wattles.. and are not infested with standard cat/dog fleas in their feathers.. according to my understanding. Mites or lice are more likely to be under the vent or abdomen.

Dry skin.. that's it.

Many vaccines are available for poultry in the US including Marek's, coccidiosis, infectious brochictis, and fowl pox.. maybe more.

My suggestion.. let it be.. it looks benign and they should heal rapidly.
Thank you so much!! I feel much better! I’m about to separate the roosters to control breeding for hatching eggs so hopefully they’ll heal up quickly without someone to fight with.

Back
Top Bottom