What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
When Rocky ( My barred rock plymouth rooster )was young, He really loved worms, I did not know there was a lot of worms outside their coop so he would try to fly over the fence, He was too big so his wings could not carry his fat little body a few feet over the ground, So he relied on our hens to help out especially one hen specifically, Butterscotch, Who had beautiful wings and flew on the gate and when she would jump down, she would shake the gate which opened it slightly, That way Rocky could push the gate open with his fat little body and they would both leave and come back, It was good for butterscotch because she could not get back INSIDE without the gate being open, The way chickens will do complex things JUST FOR FOOD never stops amazing me :lau

Yes...It can be all the above! I've found that websites stereotype/generalize chicken breeds a lot. For instance, a lot of sites say "easter eggers are the friendliest breed out there, they LOVE to cuddle."
Haha. I wish. My easter egger is the most skittish flightiest chicken I have. Each chicken has their own personality, just like us humans, as we all know, but a lot of websites just don't seem to grasp that fact. They just keep on generalizing chicken breeds. Does anyone agree with me???? Do any of you have a chicken breed that doesn't match the stereotype?
What happens is breeders have stopped breeding for personality traits. There are a few Ameraucana breeders that talk about this. You can breed for docileness (cuddly) chickens or you can breed away from it. This happens in all breeds depending on what a line is focused on.

loveeee that

I suppose we are all that to our hens :D
As I walk up to the coop run door a wave, nay, a TSUNAMI of bantams sweeps towards me, making loud noises. "Wadjabringme? Wadjabringme?"

I played Santa today, sat down and didn't hand out wild strawberries until they'd sit on my lap.
IMG_20240503_114001131~2.jpg

Rahab the bold was first, and her usually noisy self.

As I walk up to the coop run door a wave, nay, a TSUNAMI of bantams sweeps towards me, making loud noises. "Wadjabringme? Wadjabringme?"

I played Santa today, sat down and didn't hand out wild strawberries until they'd sit on my lap.
View attachment 3819922
Rahab the bold was first, and her usually noisy self.
XD Super cute! adorable! I feel you there too... I had an old hen named Rusty (fittingly named, she was orange) and would follow you around constantly, begging for food. She always knew if you had treats, and would call other chickens to mob you.

Back
Top Bottom