What’s the difference between a Barred rock and a Plymouth Rock?

Yes, Plymouth Rock is the breed, Barred is the color. Nobody just says they have Plymouth Rocks usually, you always tack the color on the front, and everyone just tends to drop the Plymouth. Barred, White, Blue, Buff, Columbian (I think), Partridge, and Silver Penciled are all the colors for Rocks, I think.

The Barred was the very first color though, and the other colors came later.

Guess I'm an oddball as I tell people I have Plymouth Rocks. Wait for them to say Barred Rocks then tell them no, Silver Pencilled. Now it won't seem so pretentious as I just acquired Patridge so it encompasses both varieties saying Plymouth Rocks.

I have a Partridge Plymouth Rock and a Barred Plymouth Rock. I’ll usually just called the latter a “BR” or Barred Rock. Of course that is the most popular color.

I am not a chicken pro, so I really
Think I would have had no idea
That they were the same breed if the receipt from the hatchery didn’t say so :) if it’s a fat laying chicken with a single comb... that’s about as far as I can tell them apart. Hence, my next order coming in April has a Dominique in it... so I can tell the BR apart from the Dom by the comb type!

Back
Top Bottom