Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dog

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Opossum

• Coyotes

• Total voters
That is a "non-starter" since no one I've seen even "hinted" about doing that, we're all talking about keeping our flocks safe from predators including hawks...and even then hawks are only a part of the predators being discussed as the poll makes pretty clear
Seriously? Some people said it's illegal to harass them, some said no, it's not. My post is to clarify, it depends on the situation. Hawks are not even mentioned, BTW.

Like you have been doing in last few posts of this thread. Obfuscating with the IDK's preceded by half accurate statements.
I fully stated that my info was inaccurate and that there was many IDKs.
That was the point. I was trying to get accurate info.
Its a shame that someone with so much knowledge and being an educator seems to always come off as talking down to me and has such poor communication skills with someone trying to learn.
You may see me as just some dumb@ss that isn't worthy and throw big words around to show how educated you are in comparison.
I honestly am not showing disrespect just frustration that an educator isn't a little more understanding and helpful.

I fully stated that my info was inaccurate and that there was many IDKs.
That was the point. I was trying to get accurate info.
Its a shame that someone with so much knowledge and being an educator seems to always come off as talking down to me and has such poor communication skills with someone trying to learn.
You may see me as just some dumb@ss that isn't worthy and throw big words around to show how educated you are in comparison.
I honestly am not showing disrespect just frustration that an educator isn't a little more understanding and helpful.
I will take that into consideration. Be nice and back off on the incriminating tone.

There’s many sides on this issue. And a lot of people will chime in on the subject that have never actually “delt” with a predator. They’ve never delt with the deviation of a massacre. Or the relentless loss of a daily feeding by predators. Everyone’s situation is different everyone’s capabilities are different. The one thing we all have in common (for those of us who actually take action) is we do what works for us.
If I could trap and shoot irresponsible dogs owners I’d hang their heads on every corner of my fence posts. Until that becomes legal I will continue to shoot-shovel and shut up.
And NO I don’t have any missing neighbors buried in my yard FYI.

Those who do not understand wildlife. Humans have disrupted the natural balance since...forever! We cause the imbalance that will instigate a increase or a decrease of certain animals.
In my corner of the world cats and people who feed cats have caused a problem that they cannot even comprehend. The feed is eaten by skunks, coyotes and cats. The Cats (constantly reproducing)feed the hawks and owls and coyotes.
The explosions of predators this year is crazy.
The quail paid the price this year I’m afraid they were all but wiped out. Song birds blue jays, woodpeckers so sparse it’s sad.
I protect my pets. I just don’t walk around with my gun (although it’s legal here and I would not go hiking without it) and shoot for the hell of it. In my state we have the right to protect our livestock. If I discharge my gun and someone calls the sheriff I do the appropriate paperwork. Usually we all call him ourselves to let them know. Actually EVERY time we call. Okay I’m done.

So I have been wondering for all people with the following amount of predators which is worse? Please do not ask me I am not in America

It depends on your physical chicken plant. For instance if your keeping style is free range, then owls will definitely be your chickens greatest danger because free range involves your chickens sleeping in trees.

We had raccoons here, but they were more interested in the duck food than the ducklings. One night my wife kicked one of them in its butt, so that it flew downhill, never to be seen again. Since then - no raccoons.
Hawks are circling over our property from time to time but the crows and ravens are scaring them away very quickly, they receive a share of the ducks feed in exchange.
Have not seen any other ground predator here so far, no prowling neighbor dogs or cats.
But I've seen a small owl in my forest, no idea what kind of. Imho Owls are the most dangerous predators if your birds are out after dusk (mine are frequently) because your birds won't hear or see it coming. Owls fly without making any noise and they can see very well in the twilight.
We consider us and our duckies lucky. I have just a low fence around the area where my ducks shall forage, it is more like a recommendation for them than a protection. They have learned to watch the sky and to alert me if something unusual is going on, like the National Guard's transport-planes or -helicopters flying over. They alert me when there's a deer or a pair of wild Turkeys in sight and when they see the line-men from the electricity company. - Not sure in that last case, they might just asked them for their sandwiches… ;)

Last edited:
I am so glad we dont have the predatores that you have in USA. We have foxes, snakes, some rats from time to time but nothing compared to what you have to contend with. You do a fantastic job it seems keeping them away. I always thought racoons were cute little things but not any more. Good luck to you all.
Your an Aussie too yay

Back
Top Bottom