Songster
Apr 19, 2018
South Carolina
F556317B-2139-419B-A9D8-3AE39E9F95EE.jpeg
FC5A697A-D80B-4EAC-A134-2DCC62497514.jpeg
D9130A1A-0EDE-41E6-8C56-FBE122D68A47.jpeg
D9130A1A-0EDE-41E6-8C56-FBE122D68A47.jpeg
B79712E2-ECE4-4E72-8839-A178F3909E07.jpeg
This is Elvira she is around 7 months old and has been fine until now. Yesterday she let me pick her up which is unusual and today I found her in the bottom of the back of the coop when I fed them. She was alone and didn’t run up for food as usual. I picked her up and got her to eat by putting a pile in front of her on a shelf and standing there watching her eat it. Her bones are all poking out and her crop was empty. I also made her drink. When I put her back down she just seems sleepy and is standing there in one spot. As you can see all my others are pecking around active and fine.

Attachments

• 7D536C79-211B-492A-A96F-6E0A325BDF00.jpeg
    7D536C79-211B-492A-A96F-6E0A325BDF00.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 5
you should probly isolate her from the flock because if she has a very infectious disease it could wipe out the flock. are any of the other flock members acting like her? and she has probly been like this for a while because chickens are really good at hiding pain and other symptoms when they are sick

She has the typical appearance of a chicken who feels awful. That could be from coccidiosis, dehydration, or starving from being kept from food, or an unknown illness. I would insert a finger into her vent up to 2 inches, just to feel for a stuck egg—use a disposable glove if you have one. It should normally feel soft unless there is an egg.
Get her drinking water right away, and give her a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench or put some SaveAChick electrolytes into her water.

What do her poops look like? Can you separate her just to observe her poops and get her eating and drinking. Offering some chopped egg, watery chicken feed, and plenty of water would be good. Is she having any trouble with balance or walking, or drooping wings? She doesn’t need to be isolated, but just confined so that you can observe her. Keep her warm as well. If she is having runny poops or any with blood, I would get some Corid at your feed store and start treatment for coccidiosis. Has she been laying eggs?

you should probly isolate her from the flock because if she has a very infectious disease it could wipe out the flock. are any of the other flock members acting like her? and she has probly been like this for a while because chickens are really good at hiding pain and other symptoms when they are sick
None of the rest are acting like this. I don’t want to bring her in because then I’ll have to keep her in the whole winter because she won’t be able to handle being put back out in the cold after being in the heated house.

She looks painful to me. I'd bring her inside. Is she laying? Have you checked for egg binding? Insert a gloved, lubricated finger an inch into her vent, to feel for an egg. Have you seen droppings? if so, are they normal?
@casportpony , @Eggcessive , any ideas?
She hasn’t started laying yet and I haven’t seen any abnormal droppings.

Last edited:
She has the typical appearance of a chicken who feels awful. That could be from coccidiosis, dehydration, or starving from being kept from food, or an unknown illness. I would insert a finger into her vent up to 2 inches, just to feel for a stuck egg—use a disposable glove if you have one. It should normally feel soft unless there is an egg.
Get her drinking water right away, and give her a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench or put some SaveAChick electrolytes into her water.

What do her poops look like? Can you separate her just to observe her poops and get her eating and drinking. Offering some chopped egg, watery chicken feed, and plenty of water would be good. Is she having any trouble with balance or walking, or drooping wings? She doesn’t need to be isolated, but just confined so that you can observe her. Keep her warm as well. If she is having runny poops or any with blood, I would get some Corid at your feed store and start treatment for coccidiosis. Has she been laying eggs?
Lots of questions, i answered a couple already in other replies. Don’t know if I should still check her vent if she hasn’t started laying yet. She may be getting bullied and not getting enough to eat though. Don’t really have a way to isolate her except to bring her in. No bloody poop. Whole flock previously treated for coccidiosis.
Could it possibly be failure to thrive? All others her age that I got at the same time seem a little bigger and way more developed than her. She grew but never really seemed to develop.

It may be failure to thrive or she may have been bullied away from feed. Sometimes birds with a congenital heart problem will grow for a while, then stall, and eventually lose condition and die. Try feeding her away from the flock and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom