What’s wrong with his legs???

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I have been soaking his legs in Epsom salt then applying a&d ointment and antibiotic cream to his hocks. I tried isolating him but he got so agitated I finally let him out to free range with the others and just separating him from the others at night. He seems to be feeling better. I don’t see the backward leg stretch thing he was doing which in hindsight I now believe was caused by itchiness. My vet is coming out to vaccinate the goats and although he doesn’t do chickens he said he would take a look. I am going to continue the soak and slather and hope he continues to heal. Thank you all again for being so kind and helpful. I will post again if we have a happy ending. I am new to BYC and don’t know what you do to end a forum question so I will just say again Thanks and Good-bye for now.
I have. And cleaned the coop and dusted perches and nests and bedding with DE. Sure hope that’s the end of it.

Glad to hear your vet is willing to take a look. Please let us know what you find out.

A side note, even though a lot of people do use DE as a "preventative" measure against external parasites, if you have an active infestation it is better to treat the chickens and coop with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust or you can use a product like Spinosad.

I hope all goes well for you.

Back
Top Bottom