What’s wrong with his legs???

Kitchencoup

Chirping
Mar 16, 2018
I let my chickens out of the coup this morning and my rooster was limping. I checked his legs and can not believe what I am seeing. Does anyone have any idea what this is or what could have caused it? I have no idea what to do for him. Looks like it has scabbed over? Gory pic below. . . .

Attachments

• 98C3CE58-A1E8-4612-8325-252E2DC86C11.png
    98C3CE58-A1E8-4612-8325-252E2DC86C11.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 37
Mites? Really? All I have is lavender Edson salt is that ok? Also, I have the solid coconut oil but not the liquid. Will that be ok to use?
Ok, calmed down enough to re-read your post and saw Vaseline is ok so expect solid coconut oil is ok too. Here I go.

Mites? Really? All I have is lavender Edson salt is that ok? Also, I have the solid coconut oil but not the liquid. Will that be ok to use?
Ok, calmed down enough to re-read your post and saw Vaseline is ok so expect solid coconut oil is ok too. Here I go.
For scaly leg mites, you use a light oil smeared on the legs for a couple of weeks or so

There look to be holes in his legs at the joint. Something has damaged his legs, perhaps a rat, another chicken, or something else. The hock joints look very inflammed, and infection would be a big concern. Is there a local vet that you could have him see? I cannot imagine that he has pecked his own legs to do this. Epsom salts warm soaks might help, or perhaps use chlorhexidene or betadine (both in first aid aisles) in some water for a soak. Leg mites appear to be the lesser problem here, but that will usually respond to an oil (vaseline, crisco shortening, castor oil, coconut oil) applied once a week and rubbed under scales.

I'm wondering if he has been caught in a fence somewhere and been struggling to get out and done that to himself as a result. Perhaps fighting with another cockerel through the fence and legs went through and got hung up. Are those injuries right through to the bone? Do his hocks still work? I would clip away the feathers so you can see the full extent of the injuries and get them thoroughly cleaned up and assess how deep they are and how much function the joints have. If it is just superficial, keeping them clean and moist with an antibacterial salve or ointment and some rest, should ensure a full recovery. He is probably going to need to be crated for a few days to give them a chance to rest and heal.

I'm wondering if he has been caught in a fence somewhere and been struggling to get out and done that to himself as a result. Perhaps fighting with another cockerel through the fence and legs went through and got hung up. Are those injuries right through to the bone? Do his hocks still work? I would clip away the feathers so you can see the full extent of the injuries and get them thoroughly cleaned up and assess how deep they are and how much function the joints have. If it is just superficial, keeping them clean and moist with an antibacterial salve or ointment and some rest, should ensure a full recovery. He is probably going to need to be crated for a few days to give them a chance to rest and heal.
For scaly leg mites, you use a light oil smeared on the legs for a couple of weeks or so

Ok. Put Epsom salt in warm water and soaked him good. He seemed quite happy there. Just before taking him out I poured coconut oil in the soak water and really rubbed his legs with cloth. Then took him out and rubbed again with just the oil. Seems to feel better but the joint still looks painful.

Back
Top Bottom