What’s wrong with my eggs?

Mcombs

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
My buff Orpington has laid two weird eggs this week. I’ve seen that chickens will do this occasionally, but I just want to make sure nothings wrong with her, and if the eggs are still good to eat. She usually lays an egg every other day. Last week she only laid one. This week she laid one that’s kinda bigger than usual and has a band around the middle. It’s not really that noticeable, but I’ve been paying attention to their eggs. Then she laid a couple normal ones, and today laid a huge egg, it’s almost twice the size as her normal, has bumps all over it, and rounder than a normal egg. And the egg that has a band around it, took it out of the fridge just now to take a pic of it and the bottom half of it is now brown. (The one with 3eggs is a comparison pic, normal egg in the middle)
80B409DF-F311-4BE4-8DFA-E060C0AD1672.jpeg
D37CC245-6AC1-4EF3-8EC7-3B72FFD3D30B.jpeg
9C67936D-96C0-4325-BC0F-0286649C0A53.jpeg
C8742D26-E98F-47E0-80A1-71C736EB1E74.jpeg

It can be normal as the season progresses that hens start to run out of reserves their eggs can change at times. Things like heat or a slight respiratory problem can cause egg changes.

The bumps are calcium deposits. The pigment can sometimes come out wrong as hens get depleted.

The misshapen eggs can be caused by stress in general. Older birds can have more odd eggs.

Your eggs are fine to eat.

Thank you, it did.
It can be normal as the season progresses that hens start to run out of reserves their eggs can change at times. Things like heat or a slight respiratory problem can cause egg changes.

The bumps are calcium deposits. The pigment can sometimes come out wrong as hens get depleted.

The misshapen eggs can be caused by stress in general. Older birds can have more odd eggs.

Your eggs are fine to eat.
thank you, I believe she may be older. The person I got her and my rooster from only told me the age of the rooster( I assumed they were around the same age) it has also been getting very hot where I live. I’ve seen no signs of illness, they all seem happy and healthy. The article the person above commented said a disturbance at night can cause that too. And I have found mice droppings in the coop. So maybe the mice are bothering her too.

Back
Top Bottom