What’s wrong with roosters foot

Thank you! She seems to know I’m observing him lol. I’m trying to get a picture of his foot pad.
Read the article in my last post about bumblefoot, where you will see a similar red abscess between the toes. I don’t do surgery unless there is a limp or bad abscess on the footpad. For a skittish rooster, it might be better to grab him off a roost while sleeping just before daylight, or late at night, and do the soak. Or just grab him and coat his legs with the vaseline. It needs repeated for weeks until you start to see new scales growing in. The oil will also soothe him from the it hing. You might also try some ivermectin (5mg per ml) pour-on 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight (estimate his weight or weigh him.) Apply on the back of his neck over his spine. Repeat that dose in 14 days. You can use oral ivermectin, but I would have to check on the dosage. I have never used antibiotics, and I don’t think the bumblefoot looks too bad yet. But a vet might give antibiotics.
I went in his coop tonight and touched the red area. It’s hot and full of fluid. He still acts fine. He is eating drinking walking with out a limp. Oral antibiotics?

If you have disinfectant such as betadine, chlorhexidene, or alcohol, you could clean it and lance it with a sterilized needle or sharp knife. The squeeze it for any pus, clean it again with disinfectant, apply antibiotic ointment, and wrap a gauze dressing around it. This video shows how to apply the dressing, but put the gauze on top between toes instead of the bottom.

If you have disinfectant such as betadine, chlorhexidene, or alcohol, you could clean it and lance it with a sterilized needle or sharp knife. The squeeze it for any pus, clean it again with disinfectant, apply antibiotic ointment, and wrap a gauze dressing around it. This video shows how to apply the dressing, but put the gauze on top between toes instead of the bottom.

Well I managed to catch him! I looked under his food and he does have a big bumble the size of his foot pad. I put vetrymycin on it the neosporin. I ordered a wound drawing salve to see if I can avoid cutting it out. He is very impatient but at least I know I have a minute to put meds on his foot. I know I will have to squeeze this mess out but by then hopefully he will trust me more.

Back
Top Bottom