What’s wrong with these eggs??

Dep

Hatching
Jul 27, 2023
IMG_7310.jpeg
Does anyone know what is going on with these bantam eggs? They are at most 2 weeks old (stored at room temp). The other eggs I boiled at the same time were all perfectly fine. The top two smelled a little different, but not distinctly bad or rotten. The bottom three I thought were fine until I cut them open to see the unusual yolks.

I have noticed that all of my eggs seem to have slightly larger air cells than I remember from regular sized store bought chicken eggs (it’s been a while since I’ve had to buy any!)
The other eggs that were fine had similar air cells to these, except that middle one with the much larger air cell (?)

View attachment 3590652 Does anyone know what is going on with these bantam eggs? They are at most 2 weeks old (stored at room temp). The other eggs I boiled at the same time were all perfectly fine. The top two smelled a little different, but not distinctly bad or rotten. The bottom three I thought were fine until I cut them open to see the unusual yolks.

I have noticed that all of my eggs seem to have slightly larger air cells than I remember from regular sized store bought chicken eggs (it’s been a while since I’ve had to buy any!)
The other eggs that were fine had similar air cells to these, except that middle one with the much larger air cell (?)
do you wash your eggs before storing them?

Storing them point side down will help keep them fresh.

“If you store your eggs with the blunt side down, that air cell will eventually start to lift up with gravity, bringing the bacteria closer to the yolk. “If you keep it pointy side down, that air sac will actually stay right at the top and keep your egg fresh for longer.

“If you store your eggs with the blunt side down, that air cell will eventually start to lift up with gravity, bringing the bacteria closer to the yolk. “If you keep it pointy side down, that air sac will actually stay right at the top and keep your egg fresh for longer.
I use an egg skelter so they are usually sideways and roll down as I use them. This is good info though so I may try to be more diligent about placing them point side down just to see if it helps

I had no idea, thanks!

If I were you and don't use eggs quickly, refrigerating them would preserve the quality longer. Unwashed, refrigerated eggs in an airtight container (egg carton in plastic bag) can last up to 5 months according to a study done by Mother Earth magazine.

Back
Top Bottom