What’s wrong with this chick???

rosestar23

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
I got baby chicks on June 1st, they were 2ish weeks old, maybe a little older. One passed away that first night. She was smaller than the rest, an Americana. I have a second one that is smaller that I have been watching because she has been a acting funny, doesn’t get up and move around as much as the rest. Gets dried poop on her vent so I have been cleaning it every other day, even though I was told by a friend that she was too old for pasty bottom. I brought them outside for the first time today to play in the grass. The other chicks are checking out the run, 10’ buy 10’ fences dog kennel. We need to install some hardware mesh before we can leave them unsupervised. So I’m sitting out here watching them, and this one chick is flailing around in the grass and lying on her side, breathing kind of fast. Temp is 81 degrees out, we are in the shade. The rest of the chicks seem fine. Should I be concerned? Or could this be normal if she is a little younger than the rest or something? We bought from the local hardware store where we got very bad information about what we needed to do to start out, so I’m not trusting that all the chicks are the same age. They didn’t seem to know what they were talking about when they gave me information when I bough them. Here is a pic of her on her side... please let me know if I should be concerned and what I can do. Thanks!

Attachments

• 4CA7CD28-33F0-41DF-AFEB-75A274742246.jpeg
    4CA7CD28-33F0-41DF-AFEB-75A274742246.jpeg
    829.3 KB · Views: 25
Is it possible that she was trying to dust bath on the grass?
I️ have a chick that is like this too. She absolutely loves laying on grass. She is a lot smaller than the rest but she is the same age. They are all 7 weeks old but she is still the size of a 3-4 week old chick. She hasn’t grown any tail feathers and has a deformed foot so I️ don’t know. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Is it possible that she was trying to dust bath on the grass?
I️ have a chick that is like this too. She absolutely loves laying on grass. She is a lot smaller than the rest but she is the same age. They are all 7 weeks old but she is still the size of a 3-4 week old chick. She hasn’t grown any tail feathers and has a deformed foot so I️ don’t know. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Maybe. She just looks like she’s struggling at times, then other times she seems fine. She is the only one that tolerates being held by my daughter so it makes me wonder if she is sick or something that she is so chill and tolerant. Maybe I’m just paranoid because we lost the other smaller chick the first night. Thanks you!

Maybe. She just looks like she’s struggling at times, then other times she seems fine. She is the only one that tolerates being held by my daughter so it makes me wonder if she is sick or something that she is so chill and tolerant. Maybe I’m just paranoid because we lost the other smaller chick the first night. Thanks you!
I’m going to follow this closely because this sounds exactly like my chick. The only responses that I️ have gotten is that it’s a runt. I️ don’t believe that’s the problem but what do I️ know? That’s why I’m here 😂

You could try & tape her legs for splayed legs for a day & see if that might help.. If she's eating & drinking maybe just wait & see, I wish i could offer better ideas. My little Sticky chick is kinda the same way, she had to have a little help hatching & we have taped her feet & then her legs, but still has some issues, but you can tell she has a problem with her legs & she is eating & drinking when offered so she's doing good considering.

Attachments

• 20200608_193632.jpg
    20200608_193632.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200608_193638.jpg
    20200608_193638.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200608_193150.jpg
    20200608_193150.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 13
baby chicks on June 1st, they were 2ish weeks old
has been a acting funny, doesn’t get up and move around as much as the rest. Gets dried poop on her vent so I have been cleaning it every other day, even though I was told by a friend that she was too old for pasty bottom
this one chick is flailing around in the grass and lying on her side, breathing kind of fast.
We bought from the local hardware store where we got very bad information about what we needed to do to start out, so I’m not trusting that all the chicks are the same age. They didn’t seem to know what they were talking about when they gave me information when I bough them
She just looks like she’s struggling at times, then other times she seems fine
Welcome To BYC

How is your chick?
Can you get a video of her actions? Upload video to youtube or similar platform and provide a link.

Oh and of course...photos of the poop too please :)

You mention that you were given bad info. Not trying to pry, but do you feel you have been able to get things straightened out.
What are you feeding, how is your brooder set-up, etc.

While most of the time birds over 2wks shouldn't have pasting of the vent - it can happen. Stress of going to a new place, too hot/cold, not drinking well, change in feed, etc. all affect birds.

The first thing I would try if she seems behind a bit is get come poultry vitamins into her. For me, I prefer Poultry Cell. For a chick that age, I would give 3-4 drops twice a day for 3-5 days.
She may have something else going on - hard to know.

Back
Top Bottom