What’s wrong with this comb?

Hantell

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
We got this chicken a few months ago, her comb has always been floppy and gray. Barnyard mix but was told sapphire gem for sure. I’m not sure age.
We took in a sapphire gem rooster about a month before that, and he had some black discoloration on his comb as well. It is now thick, red, and beautiful after being nursed back to health, so I guess I just assumed hers might get better too, but it clearly hasn’t.
She’s his favorite hen, seems otherwise healthy, and integrated well into the flock. Frost bite seemed unlikely since we got her in the summertime, but I have no idea what else it would be?
IMG_6304.jpeg
IMG_6307.jpeg
IMG_6302.jpeg

I have no idea what else it would be?
Melanin leakage.. from dark skin (genes) *somewhere* in the lineage.. would be a possibility. Or even a mutation in the expression of melanin gene (blah blah, I have no true ideal what I'm saying, but suggesting the general idea).

The floppiness also possible being genetic.. similar to Leghorn, can vary by individual.

Nothing I see specifically to worry about.. considering your description as "otherwise healthy"!

Melanin leakage.. from dark skin (genes) *somewhere* in the lineage.. would be a possibility. Or even a mutation in the expression of melanin gene (blah blah, I have no true ideal what I'm saying, but suggesting the general idea).

The floppiness also possible being genetic.. similar to Leghorn, can vary by individual.

Nothing I see specifically to worry about.. considering your description as "otherwise healthy"!
Thanks for taking a look!
“science” is a good enough explanation for me 😅

Back
Top Bottom