What? A DUCK

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Marlinchaser, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont do ducks, and dont know ducks, but somehow I now have a duck. What kind of duck is this??? It hatched out of a green shell, Looking at Mcmurrey website I cant really tell, any guesses???

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    your duck is really cute. wonder if it is a kaki campbell?? or could be a mallard? I really I don't know!!! Cute though! My pekins lay whitish eggs.
    maybe someone knows! I know foot color helps with identifying!

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    wow is that the duck you hatched for me [​IMG] i bet your kids are having a great time with a new type of animal around !

Henry

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Not rouen, they lay white. Maybe muscovy or Gold star. MMM has the golds but they don't have any pics of the ducklings.

5. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Cayugas lay black to green to gray to dirty white eggs. It could be a mix with a Cayuga mother. Cayugas are black usually though. They are the counter part to Pekins really and they are actually threatened in the wild.
    It doesnt look like a Cayuga in color but I dont know any other egg that is "colored" for ducks.
    Hope it works out well. Ducks arent' hard and they make great pets. They tend to be a bit nasty though!

6. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

My runner ducks lay green eggs too! If it starts walking more upright, maybe you have one! They're awesome pets.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    the body looks muscovy,but i havent seen this head coloration on one before. Is the tail looking like a beavers tail and large cat like claws? does it quck?. Could be a khaki campell-muscovy hinnie.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    [​IMG] now you need to find it a ducky friend! Or send it to Drumstick [​IMG]

9. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Definitly not a rouen, although mine did lay green eggs but that just doesn't look like a rouen baby to me. It looks like a Khaki Campell IMHO.

My scovies lay white eggs, so I doubt its one of those.

10. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    It's not a khaki, khakis are dark chocolate brown as babies, with no face markings. If it is muscovie or a muscovie cross it would take 32-35 days to hatch so that would be obvious. It looks like a saxony or buff duck to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by