1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What a flighty bunch!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I clipped wings 2 days ago and I knew I would have to do a little more, but ended up having to redo the entire flock. I knew because they were able to fly up and out of the 6' tall fence. So I re-did them and now 5 of them are out of the coop again. [​IMG] How far up do you go? Yes, I only did one side. I don't want to clip too much and make them bleed but I want to do enough that they can't fly. Do I go all the way up to the feathers that overlap the flight feathers? If I'm not explaining that right, I mean still only the first 10 feathers, but how high up on them should I go? Where does the blood start? Please help, I'm confused. [​IMG]

Edited to add: Yes I've seen the diagram and I'm pretty sure I've clipped even higher than that line. Does it make a difference if they are young (23 weeks) as they may not be full weight and so it's easier for them to lift themselves? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If you did both wings they may be able to get equal lift when motivated.

3. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Quote:

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well I had to go back and re-clip ALL the flying feathers instead of "just the first 10 or so" as I read.
    After the second clipping I haven't had anymore escaping.

Maybe they are just really motivated?

5. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Question just because I'm either dumb or just new at this or both: All the flying feathers? Does that mean you trimmed all the feathers on one wing? [​IMG]

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

7. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by