What a Gentleman!!

cnj-tx50

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
North of Dallas, TX
I have been doing the egg watch thing and have to force myself not to make 50 trips out there everyday to "just check". But this afternoon I gave myself an excuse to just go check the water to make sure they had plenty since it is HOT here today and one was coming out the door really talking - a BR, and about 6 hens were in the coop - talking - RIR, EE, Americannas and where was Joe the Amricanna Roo? Well, he was sitting above the nesting boxes with his favorite gal in the box sweet talking her.

No egg thou!! But he sure is trying hard to shoe her the ropes!!!
celebrate.gif

Sounds similar to my rooster. Isn't it lovely! Here is a copy of my story, copied from another post:

I bought 44 chicks in May. they are now 18 weeks old. When they were about a month old, I was given a trio of 1 yr old cuckoo marans.

Anyway, 1 year old Rupert was given to me, along with his 2 ladies, Lavern and Shirley. After quarantine of 5 wks, they shared the fence line with the main flock for another 5 weeks. Now, for 2 weeks they have all (silkies also) been free ranging together. Though the silkies stay to themselves, they are quick to send the others a runnin' !

Rupert, Lavern, and Shirley all keep to themselves, and stay out of the others' way. I have been wanting to get them in with the main flock, but waiting for the others to grow. Now, since they are near laying, I figured it was time. Four nights ago we put them in the coop with the others. They have been in and out of the run and big coop off and on, while out free ranging. But,they were surely not happy.

The girls both lay an egg every day. But now, in a new coop, what to do?? Oh no, poor Lavern. Pacing the fence line, looking at her old coop, looking up at how high the fence was, and even getting up on the branch roost near the fence (contemplating jumping the fence) for 2 hours, singing the egg song. Honestly, this is unbelievable ... but this is what Rupert did. He went into the hen house (where Shirley had already layed her egg), and got into a nest, and he kept calling her with his sweet song. Over and over and over again. She would go in and come out, go in and come out. So many times, I thought Rupert would give up. During this time, many of the main flock sat inside the coop and watched Rupert, as if they were at a movie. (Only thing missing was the popcorn!). I ran inside to tell the family what was going on. Mike (DH) and I sat out in our yard and witnessed this event. Ever so lovely, Rupert singing to his girl. Finally, she went in and layed her egg in the nest. Then, and only then, Rupert came out.... with her.

This went on again on day 2 and day 3. Today was day 4. It was just a bit different, in that before he got in the nest, he chased the main flock out of the coop. I think he was tired of the audience! LOL. Lavern was much quicker today, less than an hour of pacing and crying the egg song, "I gotta lay, I gotta lay, I gotta lay this egg, oh my!"

This rooster is so lovely. I have watched him for hours. When he mates, I swear he asks first. AND, he does accept, "no," for an answer sometimes! LOL .... He courts his girls, takes them to dinner, and is always sweet talking to them. Sometimes they squat, sometimes they don't ! Of course Mr. Manners would never do this in front of me (or anyone). This is only done in private, away from others! Around the corner of the run, or when out free ranging in the timber, etc. And ALWAYS very gentle. Those girls don't so much as have a feather out of place, much less a feather missing! I sure wish my RIR, Rocky, could have learned some manners from ol' Rupert.

Honestly, this is a true story. Rupert brings a tear to my eye, he is so wonderful. The 3 Marans stay together, and don't bother anyone. If someone is invading their space, Rupert will gently guide them away. I mean very gently. He does not peck at the others, just shows them the way out. One time Rocky and Obama were about to really get into it. (First time I had seen this happen also.) Rupert, the lovely man that he is, simply went across the run and walked in between them, and they went their separate ways. WOW, I was shocked. I guess Rupert does not like chaos!

Update... Day 5 ... Lavern layed an egg, ALL BY HERSELF!

Last edited:
After checking the boxes several times and noticing that she had moved three times she finally settled on the "one" and we have an egg!!!!! Joe was so proud!!!!!

Well good ole Joe is at it again. Only this time it's 2 other pullets. He has walked back a forth to the hen house. They go in with him and he jumps up to the boxes, but they don't follow. Now he's trying to bring Ethel back again to the same box she laid in yesterday. What a guy!!! He's getting an extra special treat today!!!!

So many times, I thought Rupert would give up. During this time, many of the main flock sat inside the coop and watched Rupert, as if they were at a movie. (Only thing missing was the popcorn!).

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
But such a sweet story. And who says Animals don't have souls!!!!

Back
Top Bottom