What a great place to land!

Fowl Mama

Chirping
Jul 18, 2018
We are new to raising fowl. Started out raising 6 Rhode Island Reds this spring. We also have 4, 6 week-old guineas in a separate small coop. When we moved here there was already a tractor coop which we now learned does not keep predators out. :( We think a possum...the trap is set so we’ll see. Down to 1 rooster and a new run and coop are in progress. 9 female chicks will be arriving soon (RIR, Barred Rock, and Cinnamon). All of the information on coops and predators have been EXTREMELY HELPFUL! Ordering the 1/2” 16 gauge hardware cloth to secure all openings and lower fence areas. Can’t find anything sufficient at the home improvement stores.

We look forward to reading, learning and sharing. What a GREAT community! Can’t believe how much I love chickens already!!!

Welcome to the addiction :lol:

Trail cam, comes in handy for identifying predators lurking.
:welcome :frow So true. I have some on my property, I see predators most every night on my cameras. I had something several years ago that was killing some of my birds and the camera told the story, it was an owl. I have had my share of predators, coyotes, fox, possums, coons, bobcat, owl and even a skunk, and over the years have pretty much predator proofed my coops and pens. I put electric wire around the coops and pens, concrete under the gates, and heavy duty netting over the tops of the pens and I still have cameras up in different places. I have had probably coyotes test the wire especially in the spring when the young predators and testing. I have heard them and by the sound I knew they found the wire.

:welcome :frow So true. I have some on my property, I see predators most every night on my cameras. I had something several years ago that was killing some of my birds and the camera told the story, it was an owl. I have had my share of predators, coyotes, fox, possums, coons, bobcat, owl and even a skunk, and over the years have pretty much predator proofed my coops and pens. I put electric wire around the coops and pens, concrete under the gates, and heavy duty netting over the tops of the pens and I still have cameras up in different places. I have had probably coyotes test the wire especially in the spring when the young predators and testing. I have heard them and by the sound I knew they found the wire.

Back
Top Bottom