What a night!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SueD, Aug 5, 2007.

1. SueD

SueD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Pittstown,NJ
    OMG, my first chickens had her first babies tonight. I didn't know what to do lol. I posted here earlier and got no response to my "if anyone has suggestions for me" question. So I relaxed thinking all was ok. WELL! I sat down about 11pm and started reading this board. I saw things like "if they are in a box up high, get them down lower ASAP so they dont fall out" And "they should be safe around the other hens IF the mother is tough and protects them" Now, I dont know if she is because I've only owned her about 2 months. And she WAS up high in a box!(I really didnt think such a young hen would really hatch these eggs) Sooo...here it is almost 1 am. I just got back in the house after running out there, getting a large dog airline crate, cleaning it, setting it up while all the other chickens were going crazy, the flashlight died and I hit my head. The horse almost ran me over when I went in his paddock to the barn to get some fresh woodchips and hay (I scared him). It started raining and I got soaked, And got bit my momma hen when I went to move her! Sheesh! Don't worry though...She is in her crate, there were 5 babies so far (one born in my hand as I moved him) and the rest of the eggs are under mom with the kids safe and sound. Somebody forgot to tell me the REAL fun in owning chickens! LOL

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Congratulations on the new chicks! [​IMG]

3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Sounds like you had quite a night! Now you will have stories to tell! [​IMG]

Congrats on the chickies.

Jill

4. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Great Job! I love new babies!

Sounds like how things go for me around here!

5. SueD

SueD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Pittstown,NJ
    Thanks, I guess now that she bit me...I know shes a tuffy and will protect her kids. Good for her! And I hope I didn't hurt the unborn ones when I moved them. Tomorrow we will set her and her babies up in a proper place isolated from the other birds. The coop has plenty of space to do that, so why not? At least momma wont have to worry so much then. They are Silkies. She is white but her babies look to be black and white, one was striped. I guess momma messed around with Mr Black Oliver roo when Mr White Loui Roo wasent looking lol. The other two hens I have are half silkie half Sebright we think. They sure are pretty, and I cant wait to see what color and type of babies they have next yr.
    Sue

6. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Hope you had an uneventful night!
    We sure want to see pics of the new little family!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by