What a ride!!! Long post....sorry.

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
So....Sunday morning DH and I get up early ( early for him is 9 am I was up at the usual 6 am) to start working on the " new coop" We have been working on this coop since May!!! So anyways....we start working on fencing in one of the inside pens..and the winds pickup something fierce. We didnt pay much attention, as the breeze felt good to us. After we finished the first inside room...we decided it was time to pack it all up as it looked like rain was coming. So....we get it all put up...content that we at least got one room done....then came inside for some iced tea...and to waite out the storm. After about 20 minutes, I looked out on the animals...the winds were gusting to 70 mph!! Thats when it all started....I had a tarp over the turkeys grow out pen...for shade...well, the wind got a hold of it and ripped out the fencing!! 3 turkeys and a guinea were on the run! We ran out to fix the fence, and gather the runaways....when the tarp over the cornish cross just ripped in half, and the little ones were cowering in the corner. UGH! 51 babies have to be moved. Glad we have the one area finished in the coop....so we move them all inside...out of the wind. OK, fixed the turkey pen, gathered them up, moved the 51 cornish and thier feeder and waterers....
603_51cornish16sept08.jpg

and coming out of the shop...we saw that the rabbit hutch had blown over INTO the hog pen, smashing thier crate..and tearing down the fence.
603_hogcratesmashed16sept08.jpg

NO WAY am I going to chase hogs in this storm!!!So...with the winds blowing so hard, it felt like a sand blaster on our legs and arms....we got the rabbit hutch out of the hog pen. Thankfully nothing lives in the hutch for now. Get the remnants of the hogs crate pulled out....fixed thier fence....moved another crate into the hog pen...and came inside to shower. NO POWER!! Just great. We were able to get hot showers..and settle in for the night...lighting the hurricane lamps and get out the good old cribbage board. Our fall back when there is a power outage. Finally we get into bed....just to awaken in the morning...Monday...no power. Today is Wednesday...and we finally got power back on...around 5:30 pm. Ahhhhhhhh....a hot shower..and a REAL cup of coffee...and of course...my BYC. All is right with the world....well...sorta. But at least I have light again!
clap.gif

Wow! Heard you had it bad down there...my sis lives in Cincinnati and they had 75 mph winds...no power or school for two days. We had about 45 mph gusts and rain in north-central Indiana. Who would have thought that we would experience hurricane-force winds here in Indiana!? SO GLAD you and your critters are all okay!!!!

Shucks. Hope you can get it all put back together. Those storms can be wicked messes that can be a challenge in our lives.

My uncle and aunt in Houston just got their power back on today. Now they continue the clean up.

Back
Top Bottom