What a Soap Opera.....

drmolarmagic

Songster
Aug 8, 2019
Brooklyn, NY
I have a "bonded pair" of Frillbacks and a "bonded pair" of Fantails, they come from different breeders and the Frillbacks have been with me for a year longer than the Fantails.
A few weeks ago the male Frillback set up a nest with the Female Fantail! In the end the eggs were pushed out of the nest as duds, but the 2 are still in the nest together,
To make things worse the female Frillback is in another nest on that same wall by herself, I haven't seen another bird in there yet.....
Has anyone else experienced this breaking of bonds and then cross breed hook ups???
thx
and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!
Bruce

Absolutely. Pigeons remind me of some of the folks that I know. Divorces, cheating, same sex pairings, jealousy , and pure bonded monogamy. Every autumn I would separate my hens and cocks to stop raising young. Upon reintroduction to the breeding loft strongly mated pairs would express what appeared to me to be pure joy. Immediately locating their mate, courting, billing and grooming one another.

Update.....The female Fantail has found a new nesting spot, in the corner of the aviary on a hay pile in the corner (very private) and the male Frillback sits in the box up on the wall watching her, AND......she's sitting on 2 eggs, here's hoping!!!!
FemaleFantail.jpg
malefrillback.jpg

Oh well....Mom left the eggs in the nest, duds,
She and the Male are always close together, lots of cooing and courting and egg laying but no fertilization going on......maybe if I added mood lighting to aviary? More as things happen......as the egg turns....

So here's the update "as the aviary turns"
So we have had a number of eggs from the Fantail but none fertilized and most pushed out of the nest, they still are nesting together but no chicks yet
Maybe over time
Lets hope

Back
Top Bottom