What a way to start the day

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SarahBeth9394, May 15, 2009.

1. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Backstory is this. I don't run the dishwasher in the evenings because the house is always noisy. Hubby plays guitar, son the drums, the air was on, and I sat down to watch the season finale of Lost on the dvr. The music doesn't really bother me but the dishwasher does. So I told my daughter to turn it off and I would run it in the morning.

This morning I get up and go to turn the dishwasher on. The motor is dead. The timer was fine but nothing else was happening. Man doesn't it always seem to happen when you are just not in a position of replacing it right away. Hubby was telling me how he could fiddle with the budget but it would be a couple of weeks. You know what I told him. I don't mind if it's a couple of months, in fact I don't want one for at least a month or two. The kids (teens) need to know how badly doing them by hand sucks for a while so they can appreciate when we get a new dishwasher. Just a little payback for the whining and fighting over loading and emptying.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    That stinks. We have a dishwasher from my grandfathers house but never use it. I always hand wash it but I really dont mind it

3. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    The dishwasher is my most favorite appliance... couldn't or I guess I should say wouldn't live without it

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    You may be on to something! Nothing like making kids appreciate how good they DO have it, by reminding them how cruddy they COULD have it [​IMG]

Be sure to check the dishes before they get put up though, I can tell you from experience - kids aren't the greatest dish washers!! LOL!!

5. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    One of the reasons for not going out and getting one is because they are lazy at getting them wiped to put in the dishwasher. Oh life is gonna suck for them for a while. Mwahahahahaha.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    We have a dishwasher, but I actually prefer to do them by hand.

<<---certifiable...

7. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    we have never had a dishwasher.........well there is one on the back porch but it doesn't work and is used as a table lol sometimes it might be nice to have a dishwasher but I like doing them by hand....you know that your getting everything off them then.

8. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    thats crappy....lol. I grew up with a dish washer then my DH and I moved from an apartment with one to a 1957 house without one. So I have to hand wash everything. It sucks. If you can swing it you might be able to replace it for decent price on craigslist. In our area some people are selling them for $50-$100.

Still it will be good for the kids to do the dishes. It builds character...lol.

9. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I agree, it will be good for your kids to wash the dishes by hand for a little while. I've been dishwasher-less for the past 5 years, and just got one last summer. Now I really appreciate it! [​IMG]

10. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Oh I cook too much not to have a dishwasher. I grew up with three lazy sisters, I was always doing dishes after 6-7 people sometimes twice a day [​IMG]. I love to cook..but I hate dishes my DH loads and unloads the dishwasher most of the time. Now if I can just get him and our DS to do a little laundry that would be glorious. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by