What about a SMALL pallet coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HaikuHeritageFarm, Aug 2, 2011.

1. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I have seen lots of coops for larger numbers of birds requiring many pallets and much disassembling and re-assembling. Has anyone made a coop for just a few birds, using intact pallets? Thinking maybe something about 4'x4', or the size of one pallet, squared. I'm not very good with building, though and when I try to make things of my own creation, it always seems to produce unusable results thanks to unforeseen issues.

If you've made a small coop with pallets, I would LOVE to see it!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    That would work fine, depending on your weather.

I have one made outta the kids' Little Tikes playhouse. It would be about the same size as your pallet coop.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I think there are some on BYC. I will try to find some links for you.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I made one that is 2 pallets long and one pallet wide. I have no pallets in the front, it's open fronted as in wire covered. It's pretty rough looking but very serviceable and sturdy. I'll try to get a pic in a bit.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  5. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    check out this thread....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=550804&p=1

Lots of pictures scroll through....one coop in particular made with two intact pallets as the sides seems to be just the ticket for what you are thinking about...looks easy, simple and functional and about 4x4 feet approx.

Hope this helps.

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by