What about an OP being able to close is/her own thread

SusanJoM

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
I haven't felt the need to use this, but it occurs to me that sometimes it might be nice for the person who starts a discussion to be able to decide when it's life should be ended. It is always possible for someone else to start another similar thread, and even add a link to the original thread, but ....

I'd sort of like to be able to put an end to something I have started when it feels right to me.

Just a pre-coffee idea this morning....

Susan

The reason we don't allow members to delete threads is because we've had in the past problems with upset members go in and delete all their posts which subsequently deletes all the threads under their initial post that caused a large loss if useful info. Furthermore, if posts were removed on a non op thread, it no longer made any sense for those using the site as reference and complicated the search feature. On closing threads, that's a bit different, and something that would have a small impact like deletions but not quite as bad. If an OP has a legit reason for wanting their thread closed, just email a mod.
smile.png

I agree that deleting threads creates a big hole in the information available.

I still think an OP should be able to close his/her own thread without "permission", but since I'm not in charge, I will go with the decision of the folks who have to deal with all of the repercussions one way or another.

Susan

Honestly, if we could turn on the ability for members to "lock" their own thread it may be something we'd allow... maybe.

Since this forum software doesn't allow us to give members that ability (only moderators and admins can lock threads) we haven't really discussed it. Maybe if it becomes available in the future as an option we could think about it, but till then it is a moot point.

Good to add it to the list, so thanks for the idea!

In the interim, the staff are usually pretty accommodating to people who want to lock a thread they started... especially if the reason is valid.

I think that trying to solve a problem that is not a problem usually leads to problems.

Having the ability to stifle discussion at the whim of the thread starter doesn't sound like the greatest idea for a discussion forum.

Quote:
Thanks, Nifty.

I never, ever, want to be a member who whines about how it is or what isn't being done for us, or suggests stuff that is a lot of work for someone else.

It just felt like a good idea to me, and if it ever becomes part of the "how it is", I will be pleased. Until then, I am interested in reading everyone's ideas about the prospect.

Susan

Susan

Back
Top Bottom