What about CROWS?

DianaMallory

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Lancaster Ohio
hu.gif
My girls are in a fully enclosed run, I don't free range. I have to many predators in the hood! Now that being said I was watching my girls like I do everyday, and everyday I have a group or flock of crows that pass by here they land in my side yard which is about 50 yards from my coop. I notice my girls stop what they are doing the minute they hear them, and as soon as they get close enough the girls all at the same time dart for the coop door. This has happened more than once. Why do they fear the crows? Is there any reason I should be concerned about the crows? Other than their crowing is annoying! But it only happens 2 times a day. Morning and then again in the evening. Got any thoughts on this? Please leave a message.

I'm not sure what type of crows you have but here in UK they would take small chicks and eggs. My chooks have a good look when any thing like that comes in the garden. Also I would say that they are coming in the morning and again in the evening looking for your chicken feed. Crows like to feed the most in the morning when they first get up and then at evening before they go and roost. I'm sure your girls will be ok because you have them in an enclosed run.

We have very large black ugly crows here. I think they are roosting in the woods behind me. As far as looking for chicken feed I never put chicken feed in the run, only in the coop. Don't want to attract any night time critters to the feeders! I didn't know that crows were a threat to chickens. Thanks for the info. I am in Ohio in the U.S. I do give my girls treats in the run and water but never leave food around. I am predator paranoid after losing 2 flocks in the past. I lock my girl down every night.

Last edited:
Yes over here they are large black ugly things too!!! Yes they can be quite bad,my better half runs a small local pheasant and partridge shoot and crows are on the list for predators as they take the pheasant and partridge chicks. Glad to hear you lock your birds down on a night I also learnt the hard way having lost my flock back in the spring to a fox :mad:. I thought I was fox proof bit obviously wasn't since then I have made some severe security measures. The cheeky thing kept coming back needless to say it was caught and shot sneaking back In to the garden again. They are an absolute nightmare here my better half has shot about 25 just in the surrounding fields in our village in the last year alone. Now I seem to be on permanent fox watch. :eek:

Last edited:
Yes over here they are large black ugly things too!!! Yes they can be quite bad,my better half runs a small local pheasant and partridge shoot and crows are on the list for predators as they take the pheasant and partridge chicks. Glad to hear you lock your birds down on a night I also learnt the hard way having lost my flock back in the spring to a fox
somad.gif
. I thought I was fox proof bit obviously wasn't since then I have made some severe security measures. The cheeky thing kept coming back needless to say it was caught and shot sneaking back In to the garden again. They are an absolute nightmare here my better half has shot about 25 just in the surrounding fields in our village in the last year alone. Now I seem to be on permanent fox watch.
ep.gif
Just curious but what kind of foxes do you have? We have red ones. The only thing that might have a chance of getting into my coop is a bear, and so far we don't have a black bear problem here, yet. I say yet because they are starting to migrate back to this state. And even a bear would have problems because they are to big to fit through the windows. Thanks again for the information on crows!

Just curious but what kind of foxes do you have? We have red ones. The only thing that might have a chance of getting into my coop is a bear, and so far we don't have a black bear problem here, yet. I say yet because they are starting to migrate back to  this state. And even a bear would have problems because they are to big to fit through the windows. Thanks again for the information on crows! 
[/quot

Yes we have the red ones here. We have no bears though I think I would be a nervous wreck if we did!! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom