What about Feeding Worms or Other Bugs?

Catfsm

Songster
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
West Lnn, Oregon
I read somewhere that earth worms might have parasites in them? Is this true? Should I not let them eat them? I have a compost bin full of worms. I would like to give them some! They are easy to generate and high in protein! I know they love them because they have eaten them when they find them with great joy.

What about other bugs such as the little hard shelled beetles one finds under a rock larva on cereals or similar locations. or other bugs? Are they unhealthful?

PD-Riverman

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Conway SC
I read somewhere that earth worms might have parasites in them? Is this true? Should I not let them eat them? I have a compost bin full of worms. I would like to give them some! They are easy to generate and high in protein! I know they love them because they have eaten them when they find them with great joy.

What about other bugs such as the little hard shelled beetles one finds under a rock larva on cereals or similar locations. or other bugs? Are they unhealthful?
Any living thing Might have parasites, if feeding worms would kill the chickens---Mine would have been dead a long time ago. If my chickens will eat them bugs---I figure they are good. Don't skimp on your regular feed because you think throwing a few bugs will give them all the protein they need. From "Memory"---A regular size chicken would need 300+ crickets a day with a few ounces of ground corn to give them the protein they need for that day. The chicken would have a hard time eating 300 live crickets because there is so much water in them---so to help with this they would need to be dried ground, and mixed with their ground corn so they could eat enough to get what they need.

Catfsm

Songster
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
West Lnn, Oregon
Thank you, PD!

Of course, I will give them worms AND chicken food.

I also feed them: Occasonal milk, vegetables, unsweetened cereals and grains, cheese, yogurt, fruit, various seeds, grass clippings (not sprayed), occasional meat, dog food, kitty food, occasional cooked egg, and other goodies. I discovered that one can do this by typing in "How to feed chickens inexpensively". I also give them feed from the farm store.

barred2rock

Crowing
Mar 4, 2017
San De Cristo Range - Colorado Rockies
Thank you, PD!

Of course, I will give them worms AND chicken food.

I also feed them: Occasonal milk, vegetables, unsweetened cereals and grains, cheese, yogurt, fruit, various seeds, grass clippings (not sprayed), occasional meat, dog food, kitty food, occasional cooked egg, and other goodies. I discovered that one can do this by typing in "How to feed chickens inexpensively". I also give them feed from the farm store.
Just found the following, might spark some ideas.

http://wholefedhomestead.com/10-creative-protein-sources-chickens-help-save-money-chicken-feed/

PD-Riverman

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Conway SC
All those things listed do help with the chicken feed. I have done most and still do some, I raise worms, crickets some times, Gave them some soldier fly larva just yesterday---I feed them those about every 2 days, they get the fish guts, the fillet remains, they get old meat, fresh caught predators, lots of vegetables and right now water mellons every day. I grow a lot of cucumbers, zucchini, squash-----they do not care for them to much green, BUT I have a commercial slicer(manual) and a couple commercial big pot a little bigger than a turkey frying pots I use---I slice those vegetables---only takes a minute with the slicer---I fill the pot, set it on the gas cooker----bring the pot to a boil----cut it off and let it sit until it cools----then EVERY Thing will eat it---everything including the dog and the cats, the hogs, the chickens, everything. I give them all scoops of it and get another pot ready. I let those vegetables get a little bigger than us humans would want but not so big it messes up the plant/stop them from producing.

All this is GOOD and saves money on feed, BUT, But, But---Did I say But----LOL it Takes Time----so much easier to just buy a bag of commercial feed. Think about it----I cultivate the garden and I have a Tractor with equipment, I plant long rows of vegetables---my rows are set-up at 100 yrds. I fertilize, hoe, then when They start producing, I have to fight the heat, collect, prepare, all this for my animals---LOL, Have to feed the worms, feed the crickets, skin the kill, catch the fish, clean them---LOL---LOL. Or I could just go to Tractor Supply and get a Bag of feed---But I would Get a lot Less exercise if I did that-----LOL

barred2rock

Crowing
Mar 4, 2017
San De Cristo Range - Colorado Rockies
All those things listed do help with the chicken feed. I have done most and still do some, I raise worms, crickets some times, Gave them some soldier fly larva just yesterday---I feed them those about every 2 days, they get the fish guts, the fillet remains, they get old meat, fresh caught predators, lots of vegetables and right now water mellons every day. I grow a lot of cucumbers, zucchini, squash-----they do not care for them to much green, BUT I have a commercial slicer(manual) and a couple commercial big pot a little bigger than a turkey frying pots I use---I slice those vegetables---only takes a minute with the slicer---I fill the pot, set it on the gas cooker----bring the pot to a boil----cut it off and let it sit until it cools----then EVERY Thing will eat it---everything including the dog and the cats, the hogs, the chickens, everything. I give them all scoops of it and get another pot ready. I let those vegetables get a little bigger than us humans would want but not so big it messes up the plant/stop them from producing.

All this is GOOD and saves money on feed, BUT, But, But---Did I say But----LOL it Takes Time----so much easier to just buy a bag of commercial feed. Think about it----I cultivate the garden and I have a Tractor with equipment, I plant long rows of vegetables---my rows are set-up at 100 yrds. I fertilize, hoe, then when They start producing, I have to fight the heat, collect, prepare, all this for my animals---LOL, Have to feed the worms, feed the crickets, skin the kill, catch the fish, clean them---LOL---LOL. Or I could just go to Tractor Supply and get a Bag of feed---But I would Get a lot Less exercise if I did that-----LOL
There are people that dream to be able to do what you've done, including myself. YOU ROCK! :old :thumbsup

lazy gardener

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
PD, you are missing a yet untapped market. Sell memberships. Folks could PAY YOU to come and get a work out on your farm. They would get fresh air, and plenty of functional exercise. While the monotonous often single plane repetitive exercise provided at the gym will burn a few calories and tone muscles, it can't compare to the total body work out provided by farm work: PNF patterns, weight program, neuromuscular training including balance and motor planning activities, core strengthening, and closed chain strengthening activities all while manufacturing natural vitamin D and breathing fresh air instead of stagnant locker room air!

PD-Riverman

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Conway SC
PD, you are missing a yet untapped market. Sell memberships. Folks could PAY YOU to come and get a work out on your farm. They would get fresh air, and plenty of functional exercise. While the monotonous often single plane repetitive exercise provided at the gym will burn a few calories and tone muscles, it can't compare to the total body work out provided by farm work: PNF patterns, weight program, neuromuscular training including balance and motor planning activities, core strengthening, and closed chain strengthening activities all while manufacturing natural vitamin D and breathing fresh air instead of stagnant locker room air!
Thanks----I will have to Look into That!!! LOL

tigger19687

Songster
Jun 27, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
I found a HUGE earthworm this morning, tossed it in the run.
They all looked at it and then walked away.
I would have thought they would fight over it but maybe it was too big.

I have seen mine eat smaller worms with no issue and fight over it.

PD-Riverman

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Conway SC
I found a HUGE earthworm this morning, tossed it in the run.
They all looked at it and then walked away.
I would have thought they would fight over it but maybe it was too big.

I have seen mine eat smaller worms with no issue and fight over it.
LOL, maybe they realized it was not what you thought it was----Maybe a baby snake?? LOL Just Playing

Latest posts

Top Bottom