What about Feeding Worms or Other Bugs?

Catfsm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2011
West Lnn, Oregon
I read somewhere that earth worms might have parasites in them? Is this true? Should I not let them eat them? I have a compost bin full of worms. I would like to give them some! They are easy to generate and high in protein! I know they love them because they have eaten them when they find them with great joy.

What about other bugs such as the little hard shelled beetles one finds under a rock larva on cereals or similar locations. or other bugs? Are they unhealthful?

I read somewhere that earth worms might have parasites in them? Is this true? Should I not let them eat them? I have a compost bin full of worms. I would like to give them some! They are easy to generate and high in protein! I know they love them because they have eaten them when they find them with great joy.

What about other bugs such as the little hard shelled beetles one finds under a rock larva on cereals or similar locations. or other bugs? Are they unhealthful?
Any living thing Might have parasites, if feeding worms would kill the chickens---Mine would have been dead a long time ago. If my chickens will eat them bugs---I figure they are good. Don't skimp on your regular feed because you think throwing a few bugs will give them all the protein they need. From "Memory"---A regular size chicken would need 300+ crickets a day with a few ounces of ground corn to give them the protein they need for that day. The chicken would have a hard time eating 300 live crickets because there is so much water in them---so to help with this they would need to be dried ground, and mixed with their ground corn so they could eat enough to get what they need.

Thank you, PD!

Of course, I will give them worms AND chicken food.

I also feed them: Occasonal milk, vegetables, unsweetened cereals and grains, cheese, yogurt, fruit, various seeds, grass clippings (not sprayed), occasional meat, dog food, kitty food, occasional cooked egg, and other goodies. I discovered that one can do this by typing in "How to feed chickens inexpensively". I also give them feed from the farm store.

Thank you, PD!

Of course, I will give them worms AND chicken food.

I also feed them: Occasonal milk, vegetables, unsweetened cereals and grains, cheese, yogurt, fruit, various seeds, grass clippings (not sprayed), occasional meat, dog food, kitty food, occasional cooked egg, and other goodies. I discovered that one can do this by typing in "How to feed chickens inexpensively". I also give them feed from the farm store.

Just found the following, might spark some ideas.

http://wholefedhomestead.com/10-creative-protein-sources-chickens-help-save-money-chicken-feed/

All those things listed do help with the chicken feed. I have done most and still do some, I raise worms, crickets some times, Gave them some soldier fly larva just yesterday---I feed them those about every 2 days, they get the fish guts, the fillet remains, they get old meat, fresh caught predators, lots of vegetables and right now water mellons every day. I grow a lot of cucumbers, zucchini, squash-----they do not care for them to much green, BUT I have a commercial slicer(manual) and a couple commercial big pot a little bigger than a turkey frying pots I use---I slice those vegetables---only takes a minute with the slicer---I fill the pot, set it on the gas cooker----bring the pot to a boil----cut it off and let it sit until it cools----then EVERY Thing will eat it---everything including the dog and the cats, the hogs, the chickens, everything. I give them all scoops of it and get another pot ready. I let those vegetables get a little bigger than us humans would want but not so big it messes up the plant/stop them from producing.

All this is GOOD and saves money on feed, BUT, But, But---Did I say But----LOL it Takes Time----so much easier to just buy a bag of commercial feed. Think about it----I cultivate the garden and I have a Tractor with equipment, I plant long rows of vegetables---my rows are set-up at 100 yrds. I fertilize, hoe, then when They start producing, I have to fight the heat, collect, prepare, all this for my animals---LOL, Have to feed the worms, feed the crickets, skin the kill, catch the fish, clean them---LOL---LOL. Or I could just go to Tractor Supply and get a Bag of feed---But I would Get a lot Less exercise if I did that-----LOL

All those things listed do help with the chicken feed. I have done most and still do some, I raise worms, crickets some times, Gave them some soldier fly larva just yesterday---I feed them those about every 2 days, they get the fish guts, the fillet remains, they get old meat, fresh caught predators, lots of vegetables and right now water mellons every day. I grow a lot of cucumbers, zucchini, squash-----they do not care for them to much green, BUT I have a commercial slicer(manual) and a couple commercial big pot a little bigger than a turkey frying pots I use---I slice those vegetables---only takes a minute with the slicer---I fill the pot, set it on the gas cooker----bring the pot to a boil----cut it off and let it sit until it cools----then EVERY Thing will eat it---everything including the dog and the cats, the hogs, the chickens, everything. I give them all scoops of it and get another pot ready. I let those vegetables get a little bigger than us humans would want but not so big it messes up the plant/stop them from producing.

All this is GOOD and saves money on feed, BUT, But, But---Did I say But----LOL it Takes Time----so much easier to just buy a bag of commercial feed. Think about it----I cultivate the garden and I have a Tractor with equipment, I plant long rows of vegetables---my rows are set-up at 100 yrds. I fertilize, hoe, then when They start producing, I have to fight the heat, collect, prepare, all this for my animals---LOL, Have to feed the worms, feed the crickets, skin the kill, catch the fish, clean them---LOL---LOL. Or I could just go to Tractor Supply and get a Bag of feed---But I would Get a lot Less exercise if I did that-----LOL

There are people that dream to be able to do what you've done, including myself. YOU ROCK! :old :thumbsup

PD, you are missing a yet untapped market. Sell memberships. Folks could PAY YOU to come and get a work out on your farm. They would get fresh air, and plenty of functional exercise. While the monotonous often single plane repetitive exercise provided at the gym will burn a few calories and tone muscles, it can't compare to the total body work out provided by farm work: PNF patterns, weight program, neuromuscular training including balance and motor planning activities, core strengthening, and closed chain strengthening activities all while manufacturing natural vitamin D and breathing fresh air instead of stagnant locker room air!

PD, you are missing a yet untapped market. Sell memberships. Folks could PAY YOU to come and get a work out on your farm. They would get fresh air, and plenty of functional exercise. While the monotonous often single plane repetitive exercise provided at the gym will burn a few calories and tone muscles, it can't compare to the total body work out provided by farm work: PNF patterns, weight program, neuromuscular training including balance and motor planning activities, core strengthening, and closed chain strengthening activities all while manufacturing natural vitamin D and breathing fresh air instead of stagnant locker room air!
Thanks----I will have to Look into That!!! LOL

I found a HUGE earthworm this morning, tossed it in the run.
They all looked at it and then walked away.
I would have thought they would fight over it but maybe it was too big.

I have seen mine eat smaller worms with no issue and fight over it.

I found a HUGE earthworm this morning, tossed it in the run.
They all looked at it and then walked away.
I would have thought they would fight over it but maybe it was too big.

I have seen mine eat smaller worms with no issue and fight over it.
LOL, maybe they realized it was not what you thought it was----Maybe a baby snake?? LOL Just Playing

Back
Top Bottom