What about flies?

chrism

Songster
11 Years
Jan 17, 2009
Zone 7A Central Va.
I'm just getting started in my plans for a flock that'll be free ranged in a fenced in back yard. I'm concerned about the possibility of drawing flies. Does this become a problem?

Not with chickens, it shouldn't. Even from being chicks, they'll have a strong interest to pursue anything flying close enough for them to snatch it up. I have my coop next to a pond that has an exorbinant amount of mosquitoes, deer flies, etc. They love it when a fly enters the enclosed run area (and quite comical to see an entire flock go stampeding after it).

I have noticed a decrease in the number of insects directly around the coop/run area recently (maybe they're getting smarter).
smile.png

if you do ens up with an issue shoot me a pm ive got a quick cheap fly trap that works great and i can get pics of.

A decrease...awesome! I live pretty rural so ticks, deer flies and such can be a problem so I didn't want to find out after the fact that I made it worse.

I can't say it's been a huge decrease, but they're definitely less near the coop (and almost none 'in' the coop/run). Makes it nice to be in there!
cool.png

I have a few more flies because the mules are close by. I just put up some sticky traps. My son likes to see what we catch.

The flies here are HORRIBLE. PLEASE post your trap! We have fly strips, fly bags and the little yellow cardboard sticky things and they are still bad. We've ousted the compost pile hoping to stop their breeding grounds.

my girls ignore the flies. I hang a stickie strip in the coop and I also make it a point to hose down their outside area at least everyother day to breakup the poops so the flies don't have anywhere to land for long

Back
Top Bottom