What about for the building-impaired? The coop-stupid?

Lucy4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
where chickens dare to tread..
I have 4 chicks coming the end of the month. Obviously, they'll be inside for a while and I've done my research for their care.

But then there's the coop.

I keep looking at the coops on this forum. I've bought plans for several online. (The most likely one we'll try is the playhouse coop.) But it all looks so complicated. Seriously. I suck at building. My husband is going to help, but his suckage rating is not much better than mine.

For those who've been there-done that... what coop would you recommend for those whose building skills are lacking?

I'd love to buy one, but we just can't afford the ones I've seen (all over $500 with run). So we're going to take the big leap and potentially build the ugliest, most ramshackle coop the world has ever seen.

Help.

We're in the process - my husband is very handy and we own almost any tool known to man. But the truth is - this is VERY simple.
You need a way to cut some 2x4s (circular saw?) and a powered screwdriver.

I watched the builders build our house and I feel rather prepared just from that. Everytime we get to a crossroads in building, we say to ourselves 'It's just a chicken coop' and go for the simpler solution.

I predict your coop will be neat in the end, and you'll gain confidence in your handiness!!!

Quote:
I got a dog kennel from Lowes....I had to do it myself, but the directions are pretty straight forward. Its easier with 2 people, but one can do it. Makes a very strong coop and run, you just need to cover it with some kind of strong wire, such as field fence. But it works very nicely.

We built a very simple coop. The most important things to consider are:

Weather - I don't know where you live, do you get snow, extreme heat, lots of rain? Let us know so we can give good advice.

Predators - you need a way to keep out coyotes, raccoons, opossums, weasels, hawks...depending on where you live, the advice here will be different.

I loved this website for it's very simple coops and tractors. http://www.plamondon.com/chicken-coops.html

My
simple, easy-to-build coop was based on the "Low House" near the bottom of the page. We made changes and customized it for our convenience and we love it.
big_smile.png
I'll give you more info and pics of mine if you're interested.

If there are any type of manufacturing / warehousing facilities in your area you could call and ask if they have leftover crates. I got ones that are 4' x 4' x 4' for free. They pry the lids off but I just attached hinges to the lids and use them at the people door on the back side, cut a pop hole in the opposite side, add feeder / waterer, some roosts...voila!

I say you should just go for it. Coops don't have to be pretty. They just have to be functional: a place to keep the weather out while allowing for some ventilation; roosts up high; nest boxes down low; a place (or two) for food and water; a small pop door attached to a run. No matter what you do, you'll think of things you'd like to change next time, and you'll learn as you go based on what your chickens like. I'm always tinkering with my hen house.

My first coop was a ramshackle disaster, but it's still standing, and I still use it along with my "new" coop, which is only slightly less of a disaster. They work, and the ladies love them. You're coop will be great, I'm sure. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

You're all making me feel better. Thank you.
smile.png

I'm about to check out that link, thanks!

As for locale, we are in Putnam County, NY. So we get el crapola winters. The chicks are 2 americaunas, 2 buff orps. Our community is on the edge of woods, acres of them. Many cats around here too.

I don't have a picture, but we just sank some posts in the ground, 5' sticking up, ran wire around the whole thing and put wire on the top for the hawks to be fended off. It is square and was easy, just costed a little bit of money for the wire, posts and concrete. I will send a picture if you want to see it, but it is pretty basic, 10'by 20' and a post every 5'.

Okay, I decided to add the picture, I have plenty more if you want to see the specifics.

24251_100_3397.jpg

Last edited:
The first coop we buiilt is a 4 x 8 x 6' tall. Took too long, DH complaining. So, now that spring is coming the big box stores and builders clearance stores (Lowes, Grossmans) are getting new sheds in, they need to get rid of the old displays they have outdoors. ASK if there are any that are discontinued. Tomorow I am going to pick up a 8 x 8 vinyl shed, BUILT for $250. They are very expensive new and the chickens don't care if it is last seasons style.

Back
Top Bottom