what about free ranging under bird feeders?

Weedchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 13, 2010
N. Idaho
My little flock is young, I just got them in Sept. They have never been loose in the yard yet and wont be able to until spring. I was wondering about them eating spilled BOSS under the wild bird feeders. I would like to keep feeding the birds but don't want my girls getting sick. What do you all think about consolidating the feeders in one area and fencing it so the girls can't get under them?

I let mine free range daily. They head for the birdfeeders at 90 MPH when I let them out.. BOSS is perfectly fine for them to eat.. It's added protein for them. So I wouldn't bother fencing or moving the feeders.

Some people worry about the wild bird poop, and them getting their chickens sick. I guess it's your call. I don't worry about it. I have 2 seed feeders, 2 suet feeders and 1 squirrel feeder in the yard.
The chickens do a nice job of keeping it tidy underneath.

Imp

Thanks for the input! I wasn't worried about them eating BOSS because I feed it to them, I guess it was contact with the BIRD droppings that I wondered about.

Last edited:
Ms.FuzzyButts :

I let mine free range daily. They head for the birdfeeders at 90 MPH when I let them out.. BOSS is perfectly fine for them to eat.. It's added protein for them. So I wouldn't bother fencing or moving the feeders.

Yeah, it is the only time my birds actually "fly". When I open the door they take off knowing the early bird gets the first seeds. In 25 years I've never had a problem.​

I was worried about the wild birds too, but I couldn't bring myself to stop feeding them since I enjoy it so much, My chickens hang out under the feeders too. I have been putting down some DE around the feeders and I have actually seen some of the w/birds eating it.

Back
Top Bottom