What about Rhode Island Reds for meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ging3rhoffman, May 1, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Im going to drive everyone crazy this morning! Im driving myself crazy. We are trying to pick a meat bird to raise and I fall in love with all of them and dont want to use any of them for meat birds. We want to have a rooster and maybe 4 to 6 hens. The silver lace wyandottes are so friendly and white rocks crawl all over me so that leaves the rhode island reds. They dont seem to be very friendly. So I'm thinking I can handle the RIR for meat birds. Anyone use the RRI for meat birds? How do they compare the the White Rock. Not the cornish rocks. The buff orphingtons are super lovie dovie so they are out.

Please help me chose a good tasty mean ole meat bird [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    The RIR hens that I have owned have had quite a bit of personality (relative to other hens), they are curious and stubborn. I have two RIR crosses (red stars maybe) that are very sweet. I've had one RIR rooster and he was mean -- the kids were not bothered much when he was butchered in plain view.

Perhaps the stereotype is right and RIR are not as nice as other breeds, but you'll come across individuals that don't follow form, probably a lot of them.

None of these birds, especially if they come from a big hatchery, are going to produce much meat. For that you'll want one of the meat bird crosses or a heritage breed that someone has selectively bred for size/early growth. They will taste good, though.

3. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    If your getting some hens and a roo for breeding your meat stock then the babies will be skittish and not so lovey dovey because they will be raised by a hen (from what I've seen) So regardless of breed I think you'll be a little more able to use the offspring for meat as you will not have bonded with them.

That's my plan when I get my area set up anyway. [​IMG]

edited because of error due to lack of caffeine

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I'd get a nice big roo to mate with the hens you have and eat the offspring - maybe a Delaware, or a Dark Cornish.

My Dellie roo is a sweetheart - and he is huge!! He also makes big babies. (I have him in with some Brahma hens and 4 white rock hens, right now.)

meri

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

We bought RIR for an all-purpose bird, eggs and meat but I just end up liking them so much that I'm going to keep them for breeding and eggs. I tell you what though, I'm not going to have any difficulty at all processing those Cornish X meat birds someone gave us. UGH!

6. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    [​IMG]:lau I just need to get the ugly cornish rocks. I am now thinking abut the Lt brahmas and black giants for meat birds. What do you guys think about that?

Big, juicy and meaty. [​IMG]

7. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Send those white, ugly, big, juicy and meaty Cornish X my way for my bar-b-que dinning enjoyment every six weeks... yummm !!! Let us know how the black birds dress out next year.

8. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    As a matter of personal opinion- if you want meat just go with the cornish x. The weight they gain in the amount of time is unequalled by any breed out there. And don't worry about any of the "concerns" that others have. The way I look at it is when people want layers they get the best breed of chicken they can get right? How is that different than wanting the best breed available for meat?

9. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I can think of two ways: 1) The egg layers can breed and sustain the flock without purchase of new chicks; 2) bigger isn't always better, flavor and texture count, too. But, maybe these are just ways in which the Cornish x isn't "best".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by